Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- I have a question, and forgive me, I am clueless about rifles so I will need a very dumbed down answer please!
My boyfriend recently bought a Tikka T3 SS Lite rifle, and said he needs a scope for this. I wanted to get h a scope for Christmas - but I tried to research it and I don't understand what I actually need to buy, because when I google it rings and mounts and scopes all come up.
My question is- what exactly do I need to buy for him? Do I need to buy all of these things, can I just but the actual scope by itself and if so, which scope will work? He mentioned something about 3-9 and 40-50mm if that makes any sense?
Please help! Thank you =)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
What is he using for-deer hunting??? If so a good quality 3X9X40 scope would be fine. If he bought it new it came with rings so you only need to buy the scope itself. What is your budget???

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We need to know what caliber it is and what he intends to hunt with it and where his hunting occurs to give a recommendation on scopes.

What you use to hunt antelope on the plains is far different than what you would use for Whitetail Deer in a swamp.

We also would need to know your budget. Scopes range from under $100 to several thousand dollars.
If he has a few other rifles with scopes on them take a look at who they are made by. Most guys have a preference for one manufacturer over others for what ever reason. I, myself, like Nikons but my buddy who hunts all of the time and books trips out of state every year swears by Leopolds.

My buddy, by coincidence, just bought himself one of these in 270 Win Short Mag. The scope he has would be far different than what you would put on this same rifle chambered for 204 Ruger.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,996 Posts
"3x9" is the range of magnification. That is what is called a variable power scope and is probably the most popular choice for hunters, if I had to guess. 3x works fine on short range stuff and 9x is all anybody really needs for the overwhelming majority of hunting.

"40" and "50" represents the size of the objective (front) lens. It's a little complicated but a 50mm objective will gather a bit more light for low light situations. The 50mm lens will make the scope heavier and sit up higher. Again, probably for the overwhelming majority of people, a 40mm is fine.

So, evaluate your budget, and buy a good 3x9 40mm scope and I'd say everything will be fine. Avoid the temptation to buy the cheapest one; generally the quality goes up as the price goes up.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any more questions.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,888 Posts
To keep things simple - try to find a 3x9x40 scope (just about a standard in the scope world) made by Nikon, Redfield, Leupold, Weaver, Burris. These are quality scope makers without breaking the bank on costs. There are cheaper brands, but doubt if your boyfriend will like mounting one on his Tikka 3. You should be able to find a scope from these mfgr's in the $250 - $350 price range, retail.

Good luck. Your boyfriend is lucky to have a gal interested in helping him with firearms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I think 30-06 Sprg is the caliber? I honestly don't know what/where to look for caliber, so tell me if that makes sense? I believe it will only be for deer hunting, we live in Central alberta if that helps any.
Price range, well he's fairly new to this and he is not an avid hunter, more of a new hobby. So I don't want to spend too much, and this is the first rifle he has owned himself, so I can't look at other ones, haha.
So if you have an idea on a "beginner" brand of scope for deer hunting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To keep things simple - try to find a 3x9x40 scope (just about a standard in the scope world) made by Nikon, Redfield, Leupold, Weaver, Burris. These are quality scope makers without breaking the bank on costs. There are cheaper brands, but doubt if your boyfriend will like mounting one on his Tikka 3. You should be able to find a scope from these mfgr's in the $250 - $350 price range, retail.

Good luck. Your boyfriend is lucky to have a gal interested in helping him with firearms.
Thanks for the great info!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,996 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses! I think 30-06 Sprg is the caliber? I honestly don't know what/where to look for caliber, so tell me if that makes sense? I believe it will only be for deer hunting, we live in Central alberta if that helps any.
Price range, well he's fairly new to this and he is not an avid hunter, more of a new hobby. So I don't want to spend too much, and this is the first rifle he has owned himself, so I can't look at other ones, haha.
So if you have an idea on a "beginner" brand of scope for deer hunting?
Then a 3x9 40mm will work perfectly and kdub gave you a list of reputable brands that are good quality.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Tikka rifle should have come with the rings and mount included. At least mine did, but that was a few years ago.

A good, reasonably priced, scope I would recommend is the Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
There is an online retailer "Natchez" that has a closeout sale on the Weaver Nitrex brand scopes $99.00-$129.00 depending on the finish. These are very good scopes selling for 1/3 of their original cost. For deer hunting it would be perfect and should last a lifetime, that would be my choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is an online retailer "Natchez" that has a closeout sale on the Weaver Nitrex brand scopes $99.00-$129.00 depending on the finish. These are very good scopes selling for 1/3 of their original cost. For deer hunting it would be perfect and should last a lifetime, that would be my choice.
Thanks! Would the "Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle" be a good choice from this website? And just to confirm, do I need to also buy a base and rings? Or should that have come with the gun? Can he get those separately after if he needs them?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If he is buying the Tikka new it will come with rings, if he is buying used rings are available, no base needed on that model, As far as the actual scope you may want to ask him if he wants a silver or black scope, otherwise you are good to go. If he is new to shooting that gun is very light so it will have a lot of recoil for a 30-06-be warned, generally they are very accurate.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Thanks! Would the "Nitrex TR One 3-9x42mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle" be a good choice from this website? And just to confirm, do I need to also buy a base and rings? Or should that have come with the gun? Can he get those separately after if he needs them?
A friend of mine has one of these on one of his guns and it's very clear and crisp, easy to focus the eye piece.

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...0mm Rifle Scope Matte Finish TrexPlex Reticle

The one you asked about would do fine as well !!

·
Registered
284 Posts
All you need to know about scopes is: Leopold. Made in the USA, lifetime guarantee. They have not-so-expensive models and very expensive models, depending upon your budget.

Your boyfriend will love you for as long as the guarantee!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure she's overwhelmed by now but here's my 2 cents anyway. I have the tikka 30-06 and it's amazingly accurate. I put a Bushnell Banner 4- 12 on it and with no bore-sighting, mounted it myself and sighted it in and put 2 shots in the SAME HOLE at fifty yards with my first half box of shells of Remington core-lokt factory ammo. 'Nuff said?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two bits worth: If you're considering a buy from Natchez/Midsouth or most other US dealers be very sure to check and double check their shipping requirements for Canadian destinations. Most rifle scopes can not be shipped to Canada unless you're a dealer with an import permit.
There are dozens of reputable dealers in Alberta, but they can seldom match US prices.
Sad, but that's the way it is and has been for several years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had many scopes through the years as a lot of these members have. I prefer by a large margin the Rifleman scope made by Leupold and sells for around $185 shipped to your door. The older I got, I gave up big, bulky scopes and have bought the lower magnification scopes.

Here is a link to the scope I have on a few rifles with an order in for another one for a rifle coming to me in about one week from today. It is a 2-7x33mm very clear scope that should be set in low quality rings. I have had several Tikkas and still have one in 7mm-08 and never used the rings that came with the rifle.

Leupold Rifleman Rifle Scope 2-7x 33mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte

Good luck to you in your search ...

bjm

·
Registered
6 Posts
First off, you're boyfriend should do great with 3-9x40 if you're living in Alberta. That's all I use and I live in Manitoba. Here's a couple suggestions in order of what I would personally choose. Prices are from cabelas.ca so you could go to the store in Edmonton or order them online. You could probably get them for cheaper if you shopped around places but this is just for ease of use.

1. Leupold VX-2 3-9x40. 399.99. Full lifetime guarantee. One of the best warranties out there and it will last him a life time. The price is a little higher but it is VERY well worth it in my opinion. I absolutely love mine. Flawless
2. Vortex Viper 3-9x40 339.99 lifetime VIP warranty. Doesn't matter what happens to it. They'll fix it for free. I've heard nothing but great things about these scopes. I'm planning on getting one for my next purchase. Highly recommend this one. Lots of scope for the money.
3. Redfield revolution 3-9x40. 279.99 lifetime warranty as well. Supposed to be a pretty good scopes.
4. Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3-9x40. 219.99 limited lifetime warranty. good scopes. Classic hunting scope.

Hope this helps. I strongly recommend just looking around the internet for places nearby that sell these scopes and price shop. You can really save some money as cabelas is a bit on the higher end of things. Let us know how you do and if you have anymore questions. Also, suggest your boyfriend join the forum after you give it to him. Happy shopping :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Both leopold vx 2 and redfield arelifetime guaranteed and good quality scope for not too much $$. They are both made by leopold now so they will honor the waranty if any problems arise. Warranty is important no matter whose scope you buy, and by the way, he is a lucky guy to have such a nice girl as yourself! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts