Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on some sight about the mixture of alloy as to the weight of your cast bullet. The bullets I cast weigh 445-426 gr and my mold is a 400 gr. Is this normal? If the reloading manul says a cast bullet of 405 gr and I have a 426gr bullet what should I do to adjust for powder gr.

·
Banned
217 Posts
partner,
         Don't worry about the weight difference. Most loads are so conservative, it really doesn't matter. As to max. loads, you should always work up, whenever changing components, including bullet alloy. Bullet hardness is more critical in this respect. Usually a heavier bullet has a higher concentration of lead in it, hence a softer bullet.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx Jeff but I just remembered I had some 45 acp bullets, and since my 45 was stolen, I meleted them down. Well!! they poured better  sized better and weigh 407  alls well!!!

An old man gave me some ingets and told me to add 3 to 5 lb.plumbers lead. That was what he shot.
I was allitle affraid after molding and heat treating at 450 for an hour they still felt soft with a thumb nail, hit with a hammer they looked fine but the skin (as so to say) would peel easy with my thumb nail. the new ones seem like I used to mold.

now if I can find a source of good material Im back In business.

finding a source of tin and WW or lineotype will be alitle hard but there has to be a place!!

again thanx Jeff.

·
Banned
217 Posts
partner,
         Most gas stations and tire centers will gladly give you wheelweights for free. Just tell them what your intentions are, and maybe offering a cold drink, can go a long way towards a great free scrounge relationship.

I use straight WW, and water quench them, to harden. This method nets a BHN of 19-21, pretty hard, as cast bullets are concerned. Have driven them in excess of 2700 fps, without leading, and good accuracy. Never had the need to alloy with other metals.

Jeff

After heat treating, did you immediately quench the bullets in cool water ? This is the key to hardening cast bullets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts