Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, call me Dave! I am in possession of a Winchester Model 70 Westerner in 30-06, serial #G159xxxx (presumably a post 1964 model, based on the "G" prefix I believe?) I have a couple questions about the rifle in question...

1) I'm looking to update the rifle to a newer, more modern look. I have been looking at various aftermarket stocks, but have not found anything specific to an M70 westerner. Would a standard long-action M70 stock fit this model? Particularly the Hogue brand rifle stocks with full length OR pillar bedding.

2) What is the value of this rifle in average (50-75%) condition AS IS? The bluing is fading and there is a very shallow pit in the stock (can provide pics tomorrow)

Good to meet you gentlemen, look forward to hearing back from ya'll!

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here. Hoper you post often.

A long action stock should fit your .30-06 Winchester Model 70.

Determining the value of the rifle depends on a number of factors. Condition is everything and pictures would be helpful. Prices do vary by region so what applies in my area may be different elsewhere. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I was thinking the original Westerners were chambered in .264 and .300 WM prior to '64. The later Westerner was a lower cost M70.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@MontyF; Thank you, that's actually a relief to know! Sounds like it makes things less complicated.

@Gil Martin; Thanks for the warm welcome! I was going to post pics today but I took my wife and kids out for Valentine's Day. If you are interested, I can still take some in the morning. Now knowing that I can install a standard M70 stock with little or no trouble, I'm going to install a nice black synthetic stock and reblue the metal.

I have a few questions though... The rifle has a blind magazine - if I buy a stock with a baseplate will I need to replace the bottom metal? Should I just stick with a blind magazine stock and keep it easy? Any modification or fabrication I may need to know about for this process? Or is it a simple "drop-in" replacement. Also, I'm assuming I will need to re-boresight the barrel and zero it in afterwards? Any other complications or things I should take note of? This is my first time servicing an older bolt action rifle.

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I put a synthetic stock on a M670 Ranger, which is roughly the same idea. It was also a blind magazine and I just dropped the action in, adjusted the sights a little, and that was it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@broom_jm; Excellent, thank you all. Does it matter if it is full length, or pillar bedding or otherwise? I'm unsure what those things mean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I called the Winchester/Browning parts department and asked them if there are any modern stocks that will fit my rifle, and they told me no. Any stock I buy will likely have to be modified by a gunsmith to get it to fit. **** :(

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
So I called the Winchester/Browning parts department and asked them if there are any modern stocks that will fit my rifle, and they told me no. Any stock I buy will likely have to be modified by a gunsmith to get it to fit. **** :(
Seriously doubt that's the case, Chief. At worst, you may have to do some inletting, but there are probably half a dozen different makers of stocks that will fit your action.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,321 Posts
The westerners were a longer barrel, and perhaps a different profile.
Obviously length means nothing, but a profile MAY depending upon the stock.

I always open the barrel channel up FAR more than what most people do. I have zero interest in pretty things, just functionality. If you can operate a piece of sandpaper, you have the skills to open the barrel channel.

The pillar, Non, etc argument is about the same as What pick-up is the "best". Especially with a flexy cheap synthetic stock, I always get a chuckle out of those who pillar bed. If you have a flexy-flyer, putting pillars in still has to anchor them to the flexy stuff... So that old story about building your house upon the sand.

You should do what makes you happy. I don't bed, and shoot much farther than many have the opportunity to; let alone are ABLE to. All that means is do what lets you sleep at night.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hogue emailed me back and said that their 200 dollar overmolded stocks will fit as long as I replace the bottom metal.

Honestly, I'm going to just skip the difficulty of even wasting my time and just start scratch. I always wanted something longer than the 22" barrel of my M70. The Rem700 long range in 30-06 is looking tempting with a Leopold VX1 and a nice 6-9" adjustable bipod. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts