Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased some of Marshalls bullets; the 265 Keiths, the 285lmngc, and the 300wfnpb.

I have loads for the 265's and the 300's but was looking for some help with the 285's. I shoot the bullets out of a Smith Mountain gun,4" [light loads] The other handgun I shoot is a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/" bbl.
I will only be using Hodgdon Universal Clays for light loads [mt. gun] and H110 for the Ruger and my Win. Trapper.

The loads I have are as follows:

265[light loads] 8.0 grains of Universal
265[heavy] 23.0 grains of H110

300[light] 7.3 grains of Universal
300[heavy] 22.0-22.5 grains of H110

Any help with the 285's will really be appreciated.:)

Thanks in advance...........
Chris~

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Chris,

If the other loads have worked fine for you, I would just split the difference for a starting point.

I'll note that your 'heavy' load for the 265's is really pretty light for H110, but if it has worked for you without any problems, then OK by me.

Have you chronographed these loads?

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be honest, the H110 for the 265gr. is one that I got off the web. Can you recommend an alternative? Can the H110 be reduced enough to shoot through the Smith mountain Gun?
The barrel is pretty thin............

I recently purchased a CHRONY master beta.....but alas, have not had the time to set it up.... maybe tomorrow:confused:

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Chris,

Get that chrono set up ASAP. You'll be amazed how much you learn.

Then, beg, borrow, or steal a copy of Hodgdon #26. Look in the Silhouette loads for the .45 Colt.

You'll see both a 'starting' load around 25,000CUP and top-end loads around 30,000CUP. Do not reduce H110 below the recommended starting loads in the manual, nor 296.

For the bullet weights that don't have H110 listed, use the WW296 listings instead.

You can safely extrapolate starting loads. Important thing is, check your loads with the chrono and make sure that you are getting 'about' the right velocity - that will tell you if the pressures are in the same ballpark as the load data.

Personally, I'd stay with the 25,000CUP loads for the smith. Other folks have different opinions, but that is what I would do. I would not go over that for a Smith, and I would not go under the 25,000CUP loads either, with those two powders.

Have fun and if this doesn't make sense send me a PM.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,

Thanks for all the help!:D I'm aware of the pressure factors on loads as I have seen a perfectly good M1A blown to bits and the shooter injured, but not seriously.:( Seems the guy used the wrong powder in the .308 charge and....BOOM:eek:
I'll get to the range this weekend and try what I've got so far.

Once again, thank you.

Chris~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts