Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a T/C renegade LH years ago and not shot it yet. its a 50 cal. I had put fiber optic t/c sights on it and cleaned it so far. I've had this rifle for 4 years maybe longer. I have yet done any muzzle load hunting. It was a safe queen and the guy who had it never hardly shot it. I paid 250.00 for it then. I knew then it became a custom shop gun and went for more after I bought it. I got some bullets. I got maxi-hunter 275gr and maxi-ball 320gr. I also have hornady great plains 385gr. I had read then these post to be good in the rifle. I have a can off triple 7 powder. I got remington and nobel dynamite #11 primers. I forgot but it has a long barrel on it say 28" or something maybe longer. I don't remember twist rate on it either.

Recently I came across a ss right hand renegade hawkens style rifle I can get it for 125.00. Its a 50 cal also. Its a Sporting Arms International ss on dark wood. Its forsure a used rifle but still nice looking and I'm going to get it though just cause i like it and price seems good. Its made in italy and i know nothing about it. It had been tapped for a scope but the scope and rings did not come with it. I won't be putting a scope on it anyway just wished it was not tapped for the screws. I just bought a pack of 245gr powerbelt hollow points and a pack of 250gr hornady sst shockwave sabots. I'm not sure of the twist of this rifle. I cleaned the barrel and it felt fine. I can not see down it but it felt smooth when cleaning. I believe its a 24" barrel from what I measured.

I want to know everyhting about the SA Int. ss rifle and want to know what loads for both guns and there twist rate. What to use and not use and so forth. I plan on going muzzleloader hunting this year and most likely will use the ss one. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I never heard of the Sporting Arms International brand but have heard of International Arms. They are the makers of Lyman and other rifles.

The Renegade has a 26 inch barrel and has a 1-48 twist. They shoot roundball and conical, even sabots. I would guess that the other Hawkins has the same twist. In a moderate twist they should do well with a lot of projectiles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I need to show a pic of the Sporting Arms International one. Its got the two trigger setup, renegade style. Barrel has PN and AP markings besides other markings. Made in Italy. I had no luck finding it on the internet. I have heard of the name but could not find anything but Sporting Arms. I figure if it don't shoot good I can always put a GM ss barrel on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Bravo2
My T/C renegade is the most accurate rifle I own, Mine shoots patched rb just as accurate as conials. my rb load is: 60 grains Goex BP .490 rb with .015 ox yoke patch. for hunting I'll use 90 grains of powder.
Conical load: I use 80 grains of goex BP and a Hornady 385 gr. great plains bullet. I also like T/C 370 gr. maxi ball bulet. Hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get some real black powder and some round balls to try along with patches.

Is hornady the best round balls to get? How do you rate the best black powder? I just don't want all that smoke. I did not have that with the triple 7.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think you just don't want a real muzzleloader, get a Savage and shoot smokeless powder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts