Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy another rifle for the collection. This one is going to be my next woods rifle. I was looking at a weatherby vanguard in a walnut stock with stainless barrel. It is at my local shop for $699. Its a 3006. Any suggestions on this gun or any other rifles out there that would fit that general description? Thanks for any input.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
I have a Vanguard in .257 WBY and it is a nice rifle and quite accurate. Good luck....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a weatherby in a 300wby. It shoots well under an inch but I payed a little over $400 for it. It is a wonderful gun. Do you guys think $699 is a good price for the walnut and stainless? My 300wby is just synthetic/blued which explains the difference in price. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
When I think of a "woods rifle", I think of shorter overall length, bigger, slower-moving bullets and quick-handling open-sighted rifles, like a lever action, pump or auto-loader. A full-length '06 that is drilled and tapped for a scope is what I consider to be an open country, long-range kind of gun. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with your choice, as long as you're comfortable with how it will perform in the up close and personal hunting one sometimes encounters in thick woods.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Have you considered buying a gun made in the USA? For the money you are getting ready to spend, the new Winchester M70 (made in South Carolina by Fabrique Nationale - makers of the Belgium Brownings) is a lot more gun than a Vanguard. You can buy a blued and walnut M70 for just a little more. IMO, there is no comparison in fit and finish between the Vanguard and the M70. Great triggers, cold hammer forged barrel, controlled round feed, mauser action, large extractor claw, jeweled boat, free floating barrel. Lots of gun for the dollars spent.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
When I think of a "woods rifle", I think of shorter overall length, bigger, slower-moving bullets and quick-handling open-sighted rifles, like a lever action, pump or auto-loader. A full-length '06 that is drilled and tapped for a scope is what I consider to be an open country, long-range kind of gun. With that being said, there is nothing wrong with your choice, as long as you're comfortable with how it will perform in the up close and personal hunting one sometimes encounters in thick woods.
I tend to agree 100%. I also do not think of a 24" barreled rifle as a woods rifle. I'd recommend taking a look at some rifles in the 38-42" OAL range and perhaps S/A as well. Not a thing wrong with a Weatherby Vanguard, but as an alternative, perhaps a Marlin .308 or .338MX, Browning BLR in 7/08, .308, or .358 or Howa Compact in 7/08 or .308 (basically the same rifle as the Weatherby), or similar. Just a suggestion.;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
The vanguard would work, but so would a number of others... Get what you like. You could always save some money and go black/syn, but I understand the attraction to ss and or wood.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand the "woods rifle" thing. I have multiple 20"-22" rifles which are handy in the thicket. My hunting where I'm at is done from a woods stand with shots at various distances. By woods rifle I meant a deer rifle. So I've been using all different kinds of rifles to hunt deer with. I'm a big caliber guy and have just retired my 338 win mag after harvesting many deer. I was going to hunt with my 375 ruger this year, but have decided I'm starting to get sick of hard to find expensive ammo. I have alot of 3006 ammo already and everyone in my family uses a 3006. I just wanted to give a litlle bit of info here on what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure on what gun I'm going to settle on but it will probably be the one I use for years to come. I'm looking for advice on what kind of gun fits that description and what you guys think of the weatherby. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
30-06 and 270 Win are probably to two most common used rifles. I've seen some fantastic deals on the used racks. Unless you are hung up on buying new, I'd look that dirrection.

·
Banned
397 Posts
When I think of rifle to be used in thicker woods. I usually think
of a pump or an auto as in the ones made by remington. The
auto shoots fast but isn't legal in all States. The pump is just
as fast with an experienced shooter.

Zeke

·
Inactive account
380 Posts
I agree with much of what has been said before. Weatherby you mentioned is a fine rifle and nothing wrong with a 30-06. I agree with those that thought "woods hunting" with the Weatherby may not be suitable. I have a fair number of rifles to choose from for hunting. If it were me and hunting in woods, without worry of a long shot, I'd select one of my 18"-20" barrel rifles to use. Light, easy to handle and etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.