Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Rebore is a good idea - seems like someone in Washington does this, maybe Cliff LaBounty?

39,117 Posts
Hick has a good idea, take-off barrels can be surprisingly cheap. Might even find one for your Ruger.

My dad found one from a Rem .22-250 for maybe $30 or so, which he put on a Turk mauser action, even had the writing facing up. Kind of threw you for a loop when you saw the "Remington Arms" script and it's on a 98 Mauser action.

Chuck, the action is worth something even if the barrel is not. Don't toss it in the dump, someone will want it for a project. If you really don't want it, I'd suggest an ad in the "Trading Post" and / or GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, etc.

Too bad your kids aren't interested in the .257. Now that is a sweet hunting rifle. My wife and I have both shot deer with mine, and I've gotten a few hogs as well, and even some prairie dogs.

39,117 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Any update on the Ruger? Just so you don't feel too bad about the whole thing, I found this picture posted on www.sixgunner.com, by JohnK, who I think is the same person who logs on here by that name. Here is his description:

The picture shows a milsurp rifle barrel (1911 Schmit-Rubin straight pull). The gun was given to me for straight-pull design study purposes, and was implicitly described as having a plugged bore. Couldn't stand not knowing, so after I discovered the obstruction was at least 8" long, I milled the barrel.

Picture isn't real clear, but far right material is a cleaning patch. Next up to the left, squiggly-looking stuff, is a bullet jacket. No sign of lead (?? more later). A wooden arrow was driven into the bore from the muzzle mangling and locking itself into the jacket -- this can be seen in the middle. Apparently it broke and only a portion was retrieved. Then, a HARD threaded jag or screw was driven/screwed in from the muzzle, splitting the wood and digging into the barrel. I say hard 'cause it smoked a TiN endmill. Finally, whoever it was tried to drill out the hard jag/screw from the muzzle with no success and gave up.

The lack of lead makes me surmise someone was shooting FMJ milsurp after grinding the nose off to produce an expanding bullet. Problem is, especially in a rough bore, sometimes the jacket stays behind, and usually the shooter is not aware and fires again...

All in all, interesting

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.