Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,565 Posts
Yes, by convention and SAAMI rules, they are.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Note that this only applies to cartridges for which SAAMI has established a +P pressure. Some ammunition is sold as "+P" or even as "+P+" where there are no such standards. One hopes those headstamps also include such markings, but I do not know how much assurance one has of that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MZ5,

JBelk kinda embarrassed me with the SAAMI info, especially since I had it on my IPAD whan I asked the question. I was reviewing our new range rules which revised our outdoor pistol range to only allow 9, 40, and 45ACP, with no +P allowed. I’ve never shot any +P so I was curious since as an RSO I get to enforce the rule.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I always shoot target and standard pressure loads in the 9mm, .38 spl and .45 acp. If I want more powder I pick up a .357. Never owned a .40 but these rules seem just a bit strange to me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
These rules are clearly to reduce damage to the range backstop etc. and make perfect sense. And this is a problem - how does a range officer know the velocity of handloads?

·
The Shadow
7,489 Posts
I would imagine it's less about the targets and backstop, and more about the shooter and others near them.
Some guns warm against +P loads, and many shooters like loading "+P" loads that no sane person would fire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our range is set up for Bullseye so there are rotating metal target frames. When not used for a match the frame are used as typical target stands. We’ve had issues with larger calibers turning stands into scrap.

We have other ranges that can be used for the most powerful handguns in the world!

One of the things I do get concerned about is someone pulling out a baggie of cartridges with a handwritten price tag on it!

·
Super Moderator
9,464 Posts
Can always ask for the reasoning....just be nice about it....there is likely a solid reason from the range's point of view.

Were some commercial high pressure loadings that weren't marked +p or +P+.....SAMMI is (or was) voluntary...and with so much non-us made ammo, can't swear what might show up if you were to pressure test.

Not sure how putting your reloads in a nice plastic box makes them safer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As an RSO you have a duty to know how the range expects you to tell what ammo is being used. If it is new commercial ammo it will specify +P if that is how it is loaded - just look at the box or the headstamp. If it is reloaded ammo then you have to decide if it is acceptable or not with guidance from the management. Your standard operating manual should provide you with the information. As an RSO the SOP manual is your bible.
It may be that the range doesn't allow handloads or has to get permission to use handloads. Ask questions in writing and get written answers. That way you cover yours and the range covers theirs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts