Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering using quick release mounts on a muzzleloader (so I can take scope off for cleaning).

Would appreciate thoughts on quick release mounts in genereal and specific recommendations about brands. I have never used quick release mounts before.

Thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have heard good things about the Warne Quick Detach rings. A friend of mine put them on a muzzle loader for the same reason you want to. He told me he can take it off and on without any return to zero issues but I can't personally attest to this. I will say I have used the Warne permanent rings on three different rifles and have been completely satisfied with them. I'm sure the QD rings are built with the same quality. They make a good strong ring for a reasonable price. However, the quick detach rings are considerably more expensive than the standard rings. Probably the only way you are going to know is to buy some and get it zeroed, take the scope off, remount and shoot it to see if the zero shifts. It will probably help if you use a good precise mount to attach the rings to and I would be inclined to mate the rings up with a mount of the same brand to ensure the best tolerances. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here is a quote from Warne's site about their rings.

The Maxima QD rings sport the unique Warne indexable lever system which allows the user to remove the optics from the rifle then reattach it without the loss of zero, as well as allowing the location of the lever to be indexed once the rings are affixed to the bases. After the levers are tightened, simply pull out on the lever, turn it to the desired location then let it snap into place. When used on the all steel Warne Maxima bases, we guarantee accuracy of within 1/1000th of an inch when removing and reattaching the optics. Unique to the industry, the Maxima QD has a square stainless steel recoil control key. This ensures a positive recoil engagement surface across the full width and depth of the recoil slot in the base. The recoil control key guarantees the position of the rings will not shift or move under fierce recoil and also protects against peening or swaging when mounted on aluminum bases.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have several of the Warne QD mounts and a good steel base helps with returning to zero. Most guns will be within and inch upon reassembly but rarely is it 100% dead on.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Have used regular Weaver bases and Burris Z rings setup on my muzzle loader for the same reason. Zero remains close enough for deer accuracy at normal ranges. With every gun scribe pushing the three pellets loading in modern in-lines for extended ranges then might not hold true.

My other centerfire rifles have started using the Leopold QR bases and rings. I have culled my scope line drastically since doing this. Now have one high quality scope for my short actions and one for the long action rifles. Simple matter of a few shots too sight in scope for each rifle after changing. Used to mainly use 3-9 power scopes but have since changed to 4.5/5 by 14-16's type variable scopes. Most of my hunting conditions are open prairie so extra power comes in handy at longer ranges.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have dozens of Warne QD Maxima rings and I have yet to encounter a set that did not return the scope to absolute zero from 17 HM2 to .50 BMG. Put them in the same slot and position them so the recoil lug is butted up against the slot in front and they do not lose zero. As important as the ring is a top quality base. If you put the best scope in the world in the best rings in the world on a set of crappy bases, all bets are off. For my money there are none better at any price, if there were, I would buy them instead.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Talley

Had a set of Talley Mounts and Quick Detachable Rings on a Winchester M70 in .375 H&H that worked perfectly. Returned to zero wonderfully. I understand Warne makes a commendable set too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts