Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive an old [1980 something]j b walkers.. its time to resole ,an id like to try an resole with something that might be as quiet as possible in the woods..im pretty quiet in the woods.. but beating ole dry leaves is just hard..i guess you can tell my fun comes from being there an nothing knows im anywhere around..human or animal..:)dang dry leaves ,sound like im a marching band.. any ideas appreciated. slim

· Registered
1,818 Posts
Nothing can move quietly on dry leaves. Nothing.

I think the only thing to do is to move like a deer moves. You be as quiet as you can, but mostly you spend time stopped, watching and listening. We hear deer all the time as they move through the bush, but, if you watch them closely, they actually spend a LOT of time not moving. If you move like that rather than marching along like humans so often do, animals tend to wait until they can see you (or smell you, of course, but that's another problem entirely) before they move off. Behave like a deer, and lots of inhabitants will assume you are one until they know you aren't.

As for soles, soft and thin is the key. I have a pair of moose hide wraparound moccasins made for me by a woman in Isle-a-la Crosse when I worked there as a teacher, that I still use if I want to be quiet. They are not that great for walking long distances or for really rough ground, but for slowly moving through forest, they are very good. They hug my foot, so their footprint is narrow and they crush fewer leaves, and they allow me to feel twigs and things as I put my foot down so I break fewer. I think soft and thin would be my aim for a new sole. Bare feet, or just socks (we used to do that when we were kids and trying sneak up on things) would be better, but I'm just not that serious about it any more.

· Piney Woods Moderator
6,255 Posts
While squirrel hunting with my uncle as a young boy, I apparently was not being very quiet as we moved through the woods becuase he turned around and stared at me and said something about I should have just ridden my bicycle.

· Inactive account
4,919 Posts
You guys were lucky, My Grandfather used to thump me behind the ears, and say, "Are you deaf as well as clumsy, can't you hear your self?"

· Registered
13,252 Posts
The easiest way to walk quietly on dried leaves is to wait until they're covered with about 8" of fresh, powdery SNOW! Barring that, I suggest a ground blind, tree stand or plain ol' stump. :D

· Inactive
1,626 Posts
MUFF's

I put on my Walkers Game Ear Power Muff's and walk thru dried Magnolia leaves. When I get so I can go 50yds without hearing myself I'm ready for the hunt.

An added bonus is, every time I go to the hospital I steal several pairs of them little short socks that they give you to wear. I wear those hunting and it seems to help with the noise also. Have been lobbying the hospital to order them in camo, but no luck yet. -----pruhdlr

· Inactive for over a decade
6,251 Posts
He was being kind. When I was learning to hunt I was asked if I wanted a bell and a hammer? :D

I keep trying to get my buddy to either stay in the pickup or go off in a different direction! He is so noisy, but he's pushed some nice bucks into me.

· Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
felt soles..its worth a try..thanks..
i know about the setting still ,,but just was hoping to cut dn on the time it takes for everything to kinda settle dn an deer an such to start moving
with a little less caution..this morning ,i had a rabbit to just spend some 20 minutes with me ,without knowing i was there. in plain sight..i thought he was gonna invite me home for breakfast:).. this stuffs a lotta fun to me.. thanks..slim
ps nothing like a good rain to make it so you just plain a ghost out there..
quiets those leaves dn real well.

· Registered
299 Posts
try wrestling of rock climbing shoes. they are a bit more durable than just leather soles and offer more support for your feet. the rubber sole also helps protect your foot as well

· RIP
851 Posts
Just go set in the woods and listen to deer moving on dry leaves.
Once you think you have it try moving as they do. A tape recorder helps get that down to a prfection.
Even squirrels do not pay attention to your noise in dry leaves if you sound like deer.

· RIP
851 Posts
Up here in Santa clause land you will have :eek: frost bit feet if you don't wear good boots/pacs with wool socks during deer season.
You just have to learn that animals do make noise when walking thru the woods in the spring, summer, fall and even winter.
Once you master the art of moving like they do at a slow stop and go pace you to can become a skilled still hunter.
Till then you just the person that spooks the game to others who have learned.

· Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep you guys would have laughed ,if you could have seen me trying to sound like a deer walking in the woods the other day..probably sounded more like twinkle bell. im glad no body was filming that.:D
still its a good idea..i ll have to work on it..id hate for somebody to walk up on me,while im learning..
seriously though ,i know the key is the timing of the steps .. also ,im listening to the squirrels playing in leaves..they just plain noisy ,an nothing gets spooked by them.. thanks slim

· Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys,
This may be the most important topic on hunting I have seen on this board. We who know this stuff know how hard it is to be quiet. Here's a good one--be honest now--how many of you, like me, have done an amazing job of getting almost there without a sound and then snap a twig and say out loud something with four letters. Now -getting older it's harder in one respect, but the fact that you can't walk so good anymore helps because you walk slow and change pace anyhow. Also, for years now I have taken a squirrel call with me always-to cover a sound I made, Just a couple of barks and the woods goes back to being natural. And always put sent cover on your shoes-I like autuum-it smells like after it rains. How you walk is such a simple thing but young hunters don't know the woods yet and there's more than a few old guys who never learned. I prefer to hunt by myself because I know how to read sign. It can be a leaf that has no frost on it when all the others do or something else out of place. It takes time but there's no cooler feeling than knowing the woods.
Mike

· Registered
84 Posts
Timing of movement is also important. I don't do a lot of animal hunting.....but I do a good bit of tracking down and "hunting" human beings in the woods, when we conduct FTX's.

One thing I have learned is to try to time your movements with cycles of the wind, in other words, only moving when the wind is blowing, to mask the sound of your movement.

When the wind isn't blowing, remain still, and listen for your quarry.

As far as making your footsteps silent....very hard to do on dry leaves. One trick we have used in our unit, is to attach netting to the bottoms of our boots, and then stuff the netting with spanish moss or damp pine straw. Not only does this dampen the sound of your steps, it also makes tracking someone by their boot prints much more difficult.

· Registered
299 Posts
Watch where you are walking and move where the layer of leaves look the thinnest. Leaves over grass or ground cover will have more moisture than those over bare ground.. Don't step, glide; slipping your foot into the leaves and ease your weight down. Move when other sounds help cover your own. Don't get in a hurry for anything, even if your prey moves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.