Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the pleasures of handloading is discovery, and R25 in the 243 Win for 100 gr bullets and up is definitely a NEW experience. If you love 243 and shoot heavy bullets you can expect 3170 and 3040 fps from a 24 inch bbl using 100 and 115 gr bullets, respectively, with nary a whimper or even flat primer. The case is either full or slightly compressed and accuracy in an Encore rifle is outstanding. Mag primers are required.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
loader, I'm not surprised - I used to use IMR 7828 in the .243 with superb results. While R25 might be a little slower, they are similar in application. One note - out of the 20" barrel of my wife's model 7 it made one heck of a fireball near dusk! But then, most powders did in that short barrel.

IDShooter

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Loader,
it's always interesting to see what new powders will do. Like ID Shooter, I'm not too suprised either. IMR7828 and Reloader 22 are powders I first bought to use in my .270 and .340 Weatherby. I now find that I buy my RL22 in the 5lb keg. I use it in everything from the 6mm Rem to the .280 to the .340. I haven't tried it in my .35 Whelen AI yet, but I may give it a try just for kicks. The slower powders are capable of working in a lot of cartridges very well, provided you are willing to shoot max or near max loads. That's smokin' for a .243

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely agree about R22 and 7828, they are excellent in the 243 with heavy bullets. I stumbled on the R25 idea working with a 338 RUM and 225 gr Speers when they went 3245 fps plus or minus 12 for a string of 14. If anyone cares, that's 5267 FP, and rather unnecessary.

What intrigued me was the absence of ANY signs of high pressure. Extraction was easy, primers were barely flattened and actually miked .211 inches when I punched them out. That's plus .001 in diameter where the primer extrudes into the primer pocket flange.

The folks at Alliant said that my chrongraph was not broken and that the load was safe...R25 has a slow pressure rise and a sustained burn even as the bullet meoves down the bbl and pressure drops. It gets a lot of work out of the flat part of the pressure curve. However, in an 18 inch bbl the exit pressure at the muzzle is 3X R22 and will rock you world...don't try this at the range!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The current trend of powder makers tailoring a powder to a certain group of cartridges is something that has never been seen in such a widespread manner. Ever. Period. It's good to be an American and it's great to be a shooter. It's even better to be an American shooter.

While I like to have less than 20 different powders in my loading area, it never seems to happen. Have you seen any data for this powder in the .340 Weatherby? Since it has a 26" barrel, I might as well make use of it. I can get my 210gr XLC's to go a little over 3200 as is with the RL22, which is also a little overboard also. I kind of like the idea of a .340 shooting as flat as the .270 Weatherby with huge penetration.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its worth trying R25 in the 340...the expansion ration in equal length bbls is a dead ringer for the 243. If I look at my powder to bullet weight ratios for the 243 the mid-weight 338s match up pretty well with the 340 case capacity. Let us know how it works out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts