Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got out yesterday at the range and think I have a new raccoon-shooter figured out. Got 10 of them last year, I think, and the ammo cost is starting to pile up :rolleyes: Anyway my CZ452 has a 4x12 scope on it and with the power ring at 5, the junction of the thick and thin part of the bottom of the reticle is dead-on at 100 yards.

The wind was blowing like heck in central Texas yesterday and horizontal spread was about 8 or 9 inches, at least! But the vertical was very consistent.

Perhaps there will be an advantage in disposal, they may run back into the brush to save me the trouble of carrying them off somewhere else for the buzzards to eat... :D The .250 Savage, .35 Rem, and .45 Colt are pretty bad about making them "DRT" and sometimes that is an unsightly state of affairs that needs to be taken care of .... :p

Should probably work up a trajectory table in Quickload/QuickTarget and tape a card to the side of the stock with holdover. I am going to do the holdover not in inches but in raccoon silhouettes..... 100 yards is about a raccoon-and-a-half.....

:D :D :D

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Maybe it should be obvious from the model of the gun, but what caliber are you using? I think the CZ 452 comes in, or came in, 22LR, 22WMR and 17HMR?

·
37,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a .22 LR, sorry for the omission! I have thought of getting one in .17 HMR for pest eradication but have not yet justified the purchase.... may be a better choice.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
In the years past, always found the .22WMR to be very effective for raccoon and fox.

·
37,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know I don't think I've ever owned a .22 mag rifle. I have a .22 mag cylinder for a single-six, but don't have any ammo and it's never been fired......

·
Registered
753 Posts
You know I don't think I've ever owned a .22 mag rifle. I have a .22 mag cylinder for a single-six, but don't have any ammo and it's never been fired......

I've got the single-six and have used the .22 wmr cylinder for a few rounds. I still have some .22wmr ammo lying around. You might give it a try for pest eradication. You could like it enough to where you won't feel you need to get the .17 HMR.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am curious as to your sighting in technique, using the bottom of the of the thickening of the reticle as the aim point. Is there some advantage to this?

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Well, I got out yesterday at the range and think I have a new raccoon-shooter figured out. Got 10 of them last year, I think, and the ammo cost is starting to pile up :rolleyes: Anyway my CZ452 has a 4x12 scope on it and with the power ring at 5, the junction of the thick and thin part of the bottom of the reticle is dead-on at 100 yards.

The wind was blowing like heck in central Texas yesterday and horizontal spread was about 8 or 9 inches, at least! But the vertical was very consistent.

Perhaps there will be an advantage in disposal, they may run back into the brush to save me the trouble of carrying them off somewhere else for the buzzards to eat... :D The .250 Savage, .35 Rem, and .45 Colt are pretty bad about making them "DRT" and sometimes that is an unsightly state of affairs that needs to be taken care of .... :p

Should probably work up a trajectory table in Quickload/QuickTarget and tape a card to the side of the stock with holdover. I am going to do the holdover not in inches but in raccoon silhouettes..... 100 yards is about a raccoon-and-a-half.....

:D :D :D
Well good for you. I can put my broom and dustpan away, and not clean up your raccoon DRT's anymore, HA

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've shot a couple of truckloads of treed raccoons with a .22. They rarely are DRT, but careful head shots with knock em dead as well as anything.

·
37,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am curious as to your sighting in technique, using the bottom of the of the thickening of the reticle as the aim point. Is there some advantage to this?
I don't have to change the zero for occasional work. I have used this also sometimes when testing a light cast bullet load in a rifle in the off-season.

Just laziness I guess!!!! ;)

·
37,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well good for you. I can put my broom and dustpan away, and not clean up your raccoon DRT's anymore, HA
You're welcome!!!! :D

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
thats what i do .. theres a certain point where the line gets thick on my 452 scope....just like having the crosshairs dead on at a 100.little wind of course.
now for a raccoon or that large of a varmet i use a marlin 60 with 4-12 banner and velocitors..it don t seem like my cz likes the velocitors as well as the marlin.. but standard ammo outa the cz would do just as well with a precise shot outa the cz..slim
ps its early an its me so yall please excuse if i confused with this post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts