Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the muzzle jump with 1800 ft lb loads & the lite win loads ? How about the accuracy with iron or redot sights @ 100 yards . I liked the blued 8.3" barrel version . Never liked the longated cylinder of the 500 460 or judge revolvers I like the looks though of a 454 its big as you can go before getting silly . I think if I can get the down payment for it which is just under 200$ then my dad will do the layway but mite be 5 months of payments but it would be worth it . Won't get it this deer season but hogs and coyotes is all year . Can somepost pics maybe looking over the ports ? Has anyone mounted a burris fast fire or similar to theirs ? . Ammo prices look good to 27$ box

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
A long time shooting buddy of mine bought a Raging Bull. He can fire maybe 25 rounds then it hurts his wrist and elbow the next day. I fired a cyclinder full and that's enough for this life time.
I love shooting my 45 Colts and the 44 Mag, the 454 is for better men then I.

Jim

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops I looked and their are quite few 1200-1500 ft lb loads wihch are heavy 44 load power levels . I guess time will tell which I will get

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The one my brother has won't stay sighted with the full house loads, don't know if it's the Taurus scope mount or the Leupold scope???, with .45 Colt's it will stay on.
A couple of cylinder fulls and I'm done too!, this is the only revolver I've ever shot that stings the palm of my hand!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's mine !

Here's a picture of mine . It's the black stainless. I love shooting it and if I don't use fullhouse loads I can shoot it all day . Muzzle flip isn't bad either. With the grips and porting it is very manageable and accurate . My favorite load is 325 gr. cast gc with 26 gr. H110 . For plinking , I use 300 gr. pb and 22 gr 2400. It's very accurate.
Good shooting !:D

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think s&w should have just made a 454 instead of the 500-460.its a good lookin gun thanks for the picture . Someone must be buying them they been making them for last 12 years

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My son has one, not bad at all to shoot, my .44 does anything I need so its hard to justify the extra $$$$ for a .454

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm probably just getting m44 blued 8.3" barrel for 499$ the r 454 blued is 680-720$ but I really like the m44 shoots well low recoil . I like the grip to I think they have a pachmayr decelerator .which from what I read people prefer hogue but I don't like a open backhandle. Oh yeah anyone know of any fiber optic sight that will fit it takes a pinned front. Sight. Oh I want to ask about loads but that's another thread

·
Registered
381 Posts
Come on guys, nothing wrong with the big wheel guns.I have shot all the big ones with the ported bbls.,not real bad...... Bones mend, wounds heal, but, glory last forever............... there is nothing like the impact of the big bore, for doing it's job on game.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here ya go.

I have one and like it a lot!

I bought a stainless one for 400.00 and painted it black for this hunting season. I'm getting it blued next summer.

I have killed hogs with it using Mag-Tech 260Gr soft points.

I have never tried it, But I think I can shoot this gun with one hand with the 454 shells. Its VERY easy with the .45 long colt.

Here it is before the paint and the scope.

I'm not a big fan of the BSA scope.....It will have a Nikon on it next season!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man that black looks good .do you miss the raging bull letters on the barrel ? Also have you though about getting it dipped ? , I have a shotgun that was dipped and love the finish . Capt rick I seen you pic of the hogs on thehighroad I think . Looked like someone shot a baseball through it lol . Right now only big bore I have is a h&r 10 ga with 2 chokes . Going to send it with my brother tommorow to find the trade in value. Oh yeah any one mounted a burris fast fire to theirs?

·
Registered
181 Posts
,,,,you asked, "do you miss the raging bull letters on the barrel ?

Not at all. You said something about dipping it. You talking about a camo pattern, or what?

I dont know about the 41 or the 44cal

Yeah,,,I have killed a few hogs with it. You must be talking about this pic.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah most dipped guns are camo but you can get different pattens or solid colors . My favorite pistol finish though is black nickel

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How's the muzzle jump with horndy 300 gr xtp ? And winchester platinums? I don't carev about palm recoil muzzle jump is more important to me

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't shoot either one. But with the 260Gr Mag-Tech its pretty good. I'm guessing it jumps almost a foot??? I don't know.
I need to do some video.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You ever shot a 40 s&w or bigger semi auto ? Man my dads hi point which is a heavy heavy gun jump high than the m44 I shot . It must be that heavy cast slide coming back . I also shot a 1911 45 acp and I prefer a ported 44 lol . But the 454 is a lot of gun anyway. If I could afford it I seen ableammo still has instock 480 ruger 9.5" . And theirs a local pawnshop that has 325 xtp . Maybe next year

1 - 20 of 21 Posts