Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago on a hunting trip we hunted in the rain all day. One of the fellows in camp shot a nice buck very close to him. In camp he passed around the empty case and it looked very strange. Nothing like the other two empties from previous days. The case looked as though it was ridged lengthwise, almost duplicating the look of the rifling in the barrel. He said he had the rifle leaning muzzle-up in the stand for hours in the rain. We all figured the rain had something to do with it but couldn't figure out the ridges. Anyone hear of such a thing or have any guesses as to why?

·
Banned
484 Posts
Well, I'll take a guess and say there was enough of a seal at the breech to allow some water to accumulate in the bore between the case wall and chamber and, since H2O is incompressable, it resisted the cartridge case's attempt to obturate to fill the chamber when the round was fired, causing the brass to be distorted.

A piece of electrician's tape, a balloon or a (gasp) condom over the muzzle will prevent water from entering the bore.

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
Go with the piece of tape... your wife would never believe hunting as an excuse for leaving a warm house house at 4AM in mid-winter with a box of condoms.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Those little finger cots that the dentist uses are good. They cause a wide array of jokes to go around when you pull them out though. They look just like a miniature condom.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'll second the tape suggestion. If you arent shooting long distances it shouldnt effect accuracy, plus you probably have some laying around somewhere in the house.

To alleviate any questions on this issue it would be best to keep the rifle in a different position if raining badly.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I've used those "mini" condoms for years on my rifle barrels. Shot right thru them with no ill effects. Used to carry them in my shirt pocket. Well, long story short, my wife did my laundry one day and found them. She was horrified! She didn't know how to broach the subject with me. Finally, she came out to my workshop, my 20 year old daughter with her. Wanted to know what I was doing with all these "condoms". She actually thought that they shrunk after being washed and dried. It took me a good five minutes to stop laughing hysterically, all the while she's getting madder and madder. When I explained to her what they were and why I had them she blushed uncontrollably and was profoundly apologetic. We still laugh about it 20 years later.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Ahhh, the vietnam technique. I just use a small square of electrical tape though.

They used condoms in WWII on the beach landings to keep water out of the bore. Watch the "Big Red 1" and you'll see a soldier comment on using them for that purpose.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
They used condoms in WWII on the beach landings to keep water out of the bore. Watch the "Big Red 1" and you'll see a soldier comment on using them for that purpose.
Thats pretty cool. I will have to buy that movie, to go in my war movie collection.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've learned the hard way that electrical tape in a cold rain doesn't last too long. Condom or balloon is much better way to go!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
They use the Condoms in Saving Private Ryan too... it is historically accurate. They were issued for more than one purpose though.

I rarely run into any weather, and I've managed to get snow in my bore just once. The nice thing about Rugers and the bottom magazine opening allows easy cleaning of the bore in such a situation. I do keep electrical tape in my Jeep anyway, so if it were raining or snowing I could theoretically put a small square on the muzzle.

·
Registered
233 Posts
grooved brass

Gunho, it was a lever gun, but I don't recall the maker. Glad to see I'm not the only guy who uses the little condoms. (for the gun). Electrical tape was what I started using, but the little finger cots stay on better.
have seen grooved brass quite a few times on 45/70 marlins.were sent back under warranty ,and the reply was that the reamer never removed all the rifling grooves on.hot loads show it up and water in chamber as you hydraulic it on firing.marlin fitted new barrels at no cost.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use balloons. When I shot my deer this year there were small bits of blue latex sprayed in a 10 foot triangle from the muzzle. The balloons worked very well though and did not affect accuracy.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
what.. you mean the mini condoms are not what everybody uses, for both reasons.. .:D
seriously though,, if the things you guys a talkin about ,are the same as what ive seen.. it didn t occur to me they would fit on a rifle ..[well mabe a 22]... i never knew what they were for,although they made me wonder..but i dang sure was not gonna ask:rolleyes: slim..:)
ps . guess i figured my sister had mice runnng around ..uh..an what did somebody say they are meant to do..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts