Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us who shoot 40 S&W and handload should take a close look at Ramshot's new Enforcer Powder. This is a very unique propellant, which boosts the 40 S&W to actual 10MM auto performance at modest pressures and still achieves top velocities equivalent to H110 in the 454 Casull. In theory, this is not possible, as the burn rates for max velocities for these two cartriges are miles apart.

In any event, their current manual lists 15.3 grs of Enforcer as driving the 155 gr hornady XTP 1375 fps from a 4 inch bbl. That's 650 FPE at 31,380 PSI with only a 12 fps standard deviation. SAAMI max is 35,000 PSI, so tis well within the comfort zone for every day use.

I ran some of these max loads through my CZ 75 with 4.7 inch bbl and averaged 1410 fps with no problems...it definitely likes the longer barrel.

This made me try a few of these loads in my Ruger PC 40 Carbine with 16.5 inch bbl and they averaged 1855 fps for 1187 FPE, making the little semi-auto superior to the 223 carbines as and entry weapon for police work. The energies are the same, but the 40 gives a whopping 64% increase in knock down power without even considering the benefit of a 79% increase in bullet diameter. Its a legitiamte 75 yard deer load with Speer Gold Dots.

It duplicates H110 and W296 in all of the other Mag revolver loads listed, including 357, 44 and 454. For example, 31.5 grs of Enforcer delivers 1884 fps from a 7.5 inch bbl with the Nosler 260 gr Partition bullet.

They even list a 19,516 PSI load for the 45 auto pushing the 230 gr Hornady XTP 1025 fps...no small feat from a 4 inch bbl.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I get the same pressure sign at almost the idenical charge with Ramshot Enforecer as I do with AA#9.

It looks the same, it smells the same.

There are only two other powder that smell the same: Bullseye and Power Pistol. And Power Pistol was first introduced as Bullseye '84.

Anyway, I did a search, and I was not the first person to figure out that Enforcer and AA#9 are the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ANYONE USING ENFORCER POWDER OR LONGSHOT POWDER IN THE 45 SUPER OR ROWLAND? ESPECIALLY, INTERESTED IN PUSHING HEAVY BULLETS AT MODERATE VELOCITY, AROUND 1150 FPS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, I'VE BEEN SHOOTING HEAVY LOADS OUT OF A SIX INCH LONGSLIDE WITH FULLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW. OF COURSE CASE CAPACITY IS THE BIG PROBLEM WITH THE ACP. HOWEVER, I HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH A 300 GR. HARDCAST BULLET AND 10 GRS. OF BLUE DOT, GIVES 1103 OUT OF MY GUN. AM LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING THE BEARTOOTH BULLETS AS THEY ARE .757 IN LENGTH VS .774 WITH THE BULLETS I AM CURRENTLY USING. ALSO, LOOKS LIKE LONGSHOT MAY BE WORTH TRYING. PRIMARILY INTERESED IN HUNTING LOADS WITH THE 1911.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wrote Hodgdon and asked why the LONGSHOT loads for pistols mostly disappeared from the Annual Manual and the 2003 handout [Basic Reloader's Manual] that were in the 2002 handout.

They wrote back that there is nothing wrong with LONGSHOT for pistols, just a computer glitch.

460 Rowland loads are some of few LONGSHOT loads to endure this blip.

Many of my LONGSHOT loads have fallen from my favorite staus for Power Pistol in careful velocity comparisons.

Reading the load books of Alliant and Hodgdon, I would have thought LONGSHOT was higher velocity, but tests at equal pressure sign make Power Pistol the winner.

The Hodgdon load data for 10 mm LONGSHOT; 9.5 gr., 180 gr., 34.6kpsi, seems like it is too hot to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HOW ARE YOU DETERMINING PRESSURE AND HAVE YOU USED THE 460 ROWLAND IN ANY HUNTING SITUATIONS, IF SO, WHAT BULLETS ARE YOU USING? I'VE BROKEN UP 230 GR.FMJFP AND FMJRN AS WELL AS 300GR CAST PERFORMANCE BULLETS. I AM LOOKING FOR A COMBINATION THAT OFFERS THE GREATEST DEGREE OF PENETRATION, INCLUDING THRU BONE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No hunting experiences.

I measure the change in the brass to compare loads. If the brass is from the same lot, it probably has hardness about the same from case to case. The case must be measured before firing and after and the difference found. That difference is proportional to pressure.
There are books that explain this better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'M FAMILIAR WITH THE METHOD YOU ARE SPEAKING OF, I MAY TRY POWER PISTOL, AS IT SEEMS LIKE IT MAY BE BETTER THAN BLUE DOT, WHICH I CURRENTLY USE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
45 super

I too have been experimenting with heavy 45 super loads. So far, I have only worked with AA7 and can only get 250gr cast bullets up to around 975fps before getting pressure signs. I think I should be able to do better with a slower powder. I posted the following on another forum with no response. Maybe someone here can help...

I am trying to come up with a good heavy load for the 45 super. I would like to stick with 230gr minimum weight bullets. I am currently using 250gr flat point round nose bullets. I am having a very hard time finding anything that is cast hard enough and of the profile and weight that I am looking for. These 250s would be great if I could get the velocities that I'd like to see but I am limited to a deep seating depth due to the bullet contacting the lands if I seat it and longer than 1.175" O.A.L.

This brings me to an interesting question. If the 45 super and 45 Rowland are exactly the same dimensions externally, they should have the same case capacity as well. Based on this assumption, the load data should be interchangeable. Why is it then that the Rowland seems to be capable of 200 or so FPS more velocity? I load a 230gr bullet to 1100fps. any higher and I start to see pressure signs in the form of smeared or blown primers. How can the Rowland get 1300fps from the same bullet weight with the same powder and loaded to the same O.A.L?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Neither of those cartridges have SAAMI specs, and pressure on published loads is anybody's guess. I believe that with the heavy loads based on the .45 ACP, often the cases are beefed up and have less capacity than the original. So loads that are safe in one brand of specially made cases may be a disaster in another brand.

Also, chamber specs aren't standardized either. How much case is hanging out over the feed ramp is a key question.

There have been some other attempts to make hot-rod .45 autos in the past, none of which particularly amounted to anything (Detonics, and of course Winchester's stretched .45 Win Magnum).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I spoke with the man at Starline about their 45 Super, 460 Rowland, and 45+P brass.
I was told that the 460 and 45 Super are the same except for length.
I was told the +P is thicker than the other two and intended for pistols with poor case support.

My experiments indicate that Starline 45 Super brass is about the strong as any 45acp brass.

In my poor case support pistols [non ramped] am getting the highest velocity with some safety margin using Starline +P brass and Power Pistol powder.

Allinat gives +P data for the 45acp and Power Pistol at their website.

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pistolrevolver&step=1

To work up my +P loads, I incrementally increased the powder charge while examining each fired case with a microscpope. When I finished, I reduced the load for safety margin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
KENT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'VE DONE ALOT OF GOOD WORK WITH THE .45. I ALWAYS MIKE MY CASES BUT NEVER PUT THEM UNDER A SCOPE, SOUNDS INTERESTING, THE ONE THING ABOUT FULLY SUPPORTED CHAMBERS IS THEY CAN BE HARD WHEN TRYING TO GAUGE PRESSURE. ALSO, SINCE YOU SUGGESTED POWER PISTOL TO ME SOME TIME AGO, I'VE BEEN USING IT FOR MY HEAVY LOADS AND HAVE FOUND IT TO BE EXCELLENT. I USE VIRGIN REMINGTON NICKEL PLATED +P BRASS FOR THESE LOADS AND DO NOT RELOAD THE BRASS WITH HEAVY LOADS AGAIN. I'VE LOADED THE LAZER CAST 250 GR. RNFP, HOWEVER, MY OVERALL LENGTH HAS BEEN 1.250 AND THEY FEED VERY WELL. I BELIEVE THIS MAY BE THE BEST BULLET WEIGHT FOR THE ACP, IN FACT IF YOU LOOK AT MIDWAY'S LOADMAP WE SEE THE 250 GR. BULLETS ARE ONLY ABOUT 25 FPS SLOWER THAN THE 230 GR. BULLETS, ON AVERAGE. CONCERNING BLOWN PRIMERS WITH HEAVY LOADS IT MAY BE A CASE OF THE FIRING PIN NEEDING TO BE ALTERED TO HANDLE THE HEAVY LOADS. I USE A TITANIUM PIN SOMEWHAT SHORTER AND ROUNDER AT THE NOSE THAN THE ORIGINAL AND A HEAVIER FIRING PIN SPRING. I HAVE ACHIEVED 1500 FPS WITH THE 250 RNFP IN MY SIX INCH 1911 BUT HAVE SETTLED ON 1400 FPS AS A WORKING LOAD. PLAN TO TEST IT ON A BOAR HUNT THIS FALL, IT GIVES GREAT PENETRATION, SO WE WILL SEE IF THE WOUND CHANNEL IS ENOUGH. OBVIOUSLY, THESE ARE REALLY HOT LOADS, I WOULD THINK THEY RUN AROUND 40,000 CUP, AND I DON'T WANT TO GIVE ANYONE IDEAS ABOUT USING THESE LOADS. ALTHOUGH, IF CTROUT CAN REAM HIS BARREL TO GET BETTER OVERALL LENGTH I WOULD THINK HE COULD GET AROUND 1100 FPS IN A SUPER.

Kent said:
I spoke with the man at Starline about their 45 Super, 460 Rowland, and 45+P brass.
I was told that the 460 and 45 Super are the same except for length.
I was told the +P is thicker than the other two and intended for pistols with poor case support.

My experiments indicate that Starline 45 Super brass is about the strong as any 45acp brass.

In my poor case support pistols [non ramped] am getting the highest velocity with some safety margin using Starline +P brass and Power Pistol powder.

Allinat gives +P data for the 45acp and Power Pistol at their website.

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pistolrevolver&step=1

To work up my +P loads, I incrementally increased the powder charge while examining each fired case with a microscpope. When I finished, I reduced the load for safety margin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts