Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,
    My last post about the powder ignition problems I observed reminded me why I went to the range to begin with- to test Ramshot Big Game powder in 30-06 and .257.
     In terms of velocity, max charges duplicated or slightly bettered my usual loads using AA4350. Accuracy was also the same in my .257, slightly better in the 30-06. The outstanding thing was the uniformity of velocities. In the 30-06 with 165 gr bullets, the max listed load had an extreme spread of 8 fps and a standard deviation of 3fps. And I fired a 3/8" three shot group with that load too. All groups stayed under an inch in the '06, just over in the .257.
     All in all I was fairly impressed with this powder. Is anyone else using any of the Ramshot powders? Now I'm kind of curious to try others...

IDShooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a can of Big Boy that I tried in my .270 Win. with Ramshot's max load, worked up to of course, with a Speer 130 gr flat base. I also used a CCI 200 primer. It was slow at just under 3000 fps but boy did it group. My three shot group was 5/8" and the one my buddy shot with the same load and rifle was 9/16". I'm almost afraid to try again but you know I'm going to have to. I've wanted to try their TAC in my .223 but the dealer didn't have any in stock when I picked up the Big Boy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used three of Ramshot powders.  The first was Enforcer.  The manual had some .45ACP loads pushing a 230gr bullet at 1078fps at standard presser.  I worked up a load that got me 1028fps.  I did not like it in the .357mag.  In the .44mag  I found a load with a 240gr LSWC that gives me 1220fps that shows some promise.  I found True Blue to be a disappointment so far.  Tac shows some promise in .223rem.  Good velocity and accuracy, need to work with it some more.  I wish Ramshot would get some more data out.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5Pins,
     Their website has quite a bit of new data (even had some for my .257! ) that can be downloaded in a zip file. Much more extensive than previously. Plus, I've called them to check on some possible applications not in the data and they were very helpful. They gave me some data not in published list.              IDShooter

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
IDShooter...

I've been looking for bulk powders on the internet and have been reading about these RamShot powders. It has been over two years since you started this thread... what has been your experience with the powders?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts