Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I know this is the wrong place to be posting this so I apologize, if someone would be willing to give me a few numbers (ether through this thread or in a pm I would be happier with ether. I work with a guy who is convinced that an airsoft "Sniper Rifle" is good out to 800 yards. Now I have a brain in my head, so I'm guessing you would be lucky to reach 100 yards reliable. So I'm really only looking for 4 numbers. if you have 2 bbs both 6mm (.243) one .12 gram(1.85 grain), and the other .20 gram(3.086 grain) firstly assuming the maximum legal speed (that prevents it from being classed as a firearm) of 500 fps, what is the range of each(that they can still be felt)?
and secondly what muzzle velocity would they requite to be "felt" at 800 yards?
I figure to gain reliable "hits" (to be reliably felt) you probably need about 50 fps?

Again, I'm sorry to post something so trivial and off topic as this in a gun forum, but I would appreciate some legitimate facts to put this guy in his place.

So thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
Well, the only way you'll feel these at 800 yards is if you first walk back to where they fell to ground and pick them up and carry them back out to 800 with you.

I used QuickTARGET Unlimited to calculate that if you elevate the gun to achieve maximum range on level ground in still air at sea level under standard Army meteorological conditions (59°F, 78% RH, 29.53 in/Hg), and on level ground and with a muzzle velocity of 500 fps, the light ball will fall to earth at about 275 yards. The heavy one will fall to earth at about 385 yards.

I did this using the SAAMI 9/16" sphere GS drag function rather than the usual G1 drag function. Compared to a lead ball of that diameter, your Airsoft 6 mm spherical projectiles have GS BC's of 0.0653 and 0.0392, respectively. I base this on calculating their sectional density compared to that of a lead sphere 9/16" in diameter. BC is proportional to sectional density when the projectile shapes are identical to the standard projectile shape (in this case the 9/16" sphere).

How far forward will they be "felt" by someone within range? I'd say that since the lowest velocity happens just a bit beyond apogee (after which falling speeds them back up a bit), that because the lighter projectile never falls below 87 fps and the heavier one never falls bellow 128 fps anywhere in the trajectory, that you'd probably notice being hit by one at any distance within the extreme range of the sphere before it hits dirt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the information. It's good to be able to show someone hard data, helps to make your point irrefutable :) Especially for those people who won't back down no matter what!

You know what they say: Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
978 Posts
If there is one thing that has not changed since Newton, it is gravity. It is still 32 fps ps.

I would ask him, if gravity pulls at 32 fps and your shoulder is five feet off the ground, what is the maximum range of the BB when fired straight at the target at 500 fps. Then have him measure it off in the parking lot and prove it to you trying to hit the target, which I would place on a 3 foot chair.

It should be an interesting demonstration.

Before hand, I would bet him $100 he couldn't hit a target at 100 feet keeping the gun level just to have some fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts