Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the rain finally stop this weekend so I could get out and throw so more lead down range! The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. I've got almost 100 rds throught it and the action is just as tight as the day I bought it-so much for the folks who said it would fall apart after a 100 rds or so!! Now I grant you my loads have not been Hot loads!! Starting / mid range loads! ( 1900-2050 fps ). Must of the rounds have been Cast bullets250-300gr - a few Jacketed 250gr-300 gr XTPs It seems to like Jacketed over Cast bullets- except maybe for the PB 255 gr SWC which by the way my Win 94 just loves. I have some 300 gr XTP mags coming and I don't see any problem of pushing the to 2100-2200 fps out of this gun.

Now if your in the market for a companion rifle for your favorite 454 side arm, one will not go wrong in getting one of these! You'll also have a very capable rifle that is capable of taking anything that a 444, 450, 45-70 can take at the same ranges !! Welcome to the world of the 454 Casull in a rifle.
:D

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/gacker1143/gregshuntingfirearms/

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting good results! How is the recoil in that little gun?

ID

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I was thinking about your posts when I saw one of these at the gun shop. Did you have a recoil pad put on yours? How do you like it? Is it drilled for a reciever sight from the factory?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
IDShooter

Well I'll tell you if it didn't come with the recoil pad you wouldn't shoot it much.!:D The gun only weighs 6.3 Lbs!!
And you know when you've let one go. Its stout, but not abusive. I've shot some big rounds- 338, 300 Win Mag etc.
I don't think it as bad as the 338! Besides in a Lever BB you kind of exspect a good kick!:D This going to make a heck of a Timber gun for Blackies/Elk/Cougar!

kciH
It comes with the pad- I don't think you can put a reciever site on it cause of the safety. And putting a linear site probaly wouldn't be a good idea-Recoil!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Shot mine for the first time today. Love the 45LC through it. Probably going to be the staple diet for mine. I have to get some dies to really begin to play with this rifle. The 454 is all there. I have a new found respect for those who shoot this out of a handgun. Haven't done any shooting for accuracy yet, but when I do I'll post the results.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the 45LC to feed better from the mag??? I read something somewhere, but can't recall where. Thanks, LIV

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lostinVt
Mine seems to feed well with LC ? Maybe it's the bullet stile?
With 454 rounds I've notice that with mine I have to keep the OAL at no more than 1.650 with the WFN/SWC Cast bullets. The bullets seem to catch on the lip of the breech. Yep the 454 has a healthy kick to it -don't it!!:D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the testing is done for the load for Bear(Spring Hunt).
Settled on 300 gr XTP-Mags- Still working on the 300 gr WFN Cast bullets-haven't found the accuracy I'm looking for-yet?
the load I'm going to use is just slightly under my requirement of 2000 fps out my Rossi 454-but make the requirement for the SRH of 1600 fps.

300 gr XTP-MAG
30.5 grs of W296
OAL 1.650-anything longer will not feed!!:rolleyes:
MV 1995 Avg.
ME 2,668 ft lbs

Range Vel Energy Moment Drop
(yards) (ft/sec) (ft-lbs) (lbs/sec) (inches)
0 2001.5 2668.4 2.67 -1.5
25 1953.0 2540.7 2.60 0.3
50 1905.3 2418.0 2.54 1.5
75 1858.3 2300.3 2.48 2.1
100 1812.2 2187.5 2.41 2.1
125 1766.9 2079.4 2.35 1.4
150 1722.4 1976.0 2.29 -0.0
175 1678.7 1877.2 2.24 -2.1
200 1635.9 1782.7 2.18 -5.0
225 1594.0 1692.5 2.12 -8.7
250 1553.1 1606.6 2.07 - 13.3

Looks like I got a good load for just about anything I want to shoot with the 454! Accurate- 2" at 60 yards!! Now to see what it does 100, 150 ,175 and 200 Yds if I can see that far with open sights? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looking for a light load using a 250 grain LRNFP with 454 cases and blue dot if anyone has some. I have some H110 and Lil Gun around too, but think that light loads would be a bad idea with them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lostinVt

I don't know of any data for blue dot, but if you can get a hold of some W231/Bullseye you can use the data for reg 45 LC loads for light loads in your 454's. I've used 10 grs of W231 under a 230 LTC bullets for plinking/whisle pig load. It should work fine for your 250gr load as well. Should come out at around 1300-1400 Fps. Unfortunately we don't have alot of data around for the Rifle in 454 though most loads for the pistol work I've found you can not use the same loads for rifle as with the pistol you have to start at the starting loads for pistol and work up. I've had some pretty bad case failures at the top end of some loads- don't know if its the brass or the loads were to stout?

·
Banned
554 Posts
It would be interesting to see the results of your 45-70 equivalent loads.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlie Z
I guess your wondering about 350gr-405gr loads? Unfortunately I don't have any of these bullets in these weights. I was basing this on getting a 360gr bullet to run 1400fps-1493 out of a 7.5" barrel SRH so out of a 20" barrel
454 Lever gun it should come out at around 1600-1700 fps which is very close or better then some 45-70 loads.
a 405gr pistol load at 1300 fps should run about 1650 out of a 20" barrel.
Compared to most of the data I've seen for 1895's in a few load swaps the 454 measures up to and surpasses some of the loading for the 45-70 . Granted yes the 454 will be working at the top end of it's load range where as the 45-70 is not, it does compare /is in the league of the 444, 45-70 and 450. Which in my opion makes it a very good heavy game getter!!:D

·
Registered
572 Posts
OOOOOooooooWEEEE!

What a little darlin! I love this thing.

I have had the little whippersnapper for a couple of weeks now and am just getting bugs worked out.

I think I may have found the perfect solution to my ultimate brush gun. It is very easy shooting and accurate with the loads I use in my Smith Mountain Gun and hits like a sledgehammer when loaded up to snuff in Casull brass.

I like the idea of keeping my reloading bench simple. It did get a mite cornfusing with the .458 bullets for the 45-70 laying about.

Being able to push 300 grain gas checked .452's to velocities relegated to the 45-70 makes the .454 a giant killer. The ease of downloading makes it a real meat gun.

I am pleased with it. Very pleased.

I can only wonder at the type of loads that will come about as folks begin to experiment with the .454 in a rifle. I think that experimentation with sabots will be in order.

All my best,

Scotty

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Coldfingers
Yep it rocks!! For the 454 Casull shooter it a marriage made in heaven!!! Bore bore punch!! And able to take just about anything out to 200 yds or more! What more could a mountain hunter want!! I feel the Rossi rifle in 454 Casull is going to take this cartrdge to bigger and better things-as far as loading anyway!! God I love these big 45's!!!:D

·
Registered
167 Posts
LostinVt,
My Hodgdon load manual #26 shows a starting load of 19grains of Blue Dot for a 250gr Bullet, unfortunatley it doesn't list a maximum. I have used 17 grains with a 285gr bullet, and it was a real nice shooting load, just dirtier than I prefer, but as the 2 pounds of Blue Dot were free, I am not complaining.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Beeman,

Timely post.

I had a large quantity of cheap cast 300 grainers that will never get shot from my Smith MG.

They are great plinking fodder from the Rossi over 17g of BlueDot.

Since the BlueDot seems to be the favorite powder for the MG, this works nicely.

I am sure enjoying having a rifle that eats my handgun ammo with ease.

The river broke up a few days ago and I almost have the honey-do list to the point that a boat trip will not cause me to HAVE to sleep outside. Our black bears are moving and the Grizz are are cleaning up winterkill. Life is good.

I am still fiddling with the front sight so that I can get both the Casull loads and the Colt loads to print within the parameters of the rear sight ramp. The front sight was too tall to even get close with the rear sight all the way up.

Scotty/North Pole

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have noticed that 45 Colt type loads do not print anywhere near the 454 loads. I am still looking at putting a taller front sight on so that I can get the 454 loads to shoot where the front sight says it oughta. At 25 yards I bet that there is at least 8 inches difference between the light and heavy loads. Sounds like a good opportunity to put a firesight on the front end to me. Still love shooting it though. There is no doubt when you pull the trigger that you are unleashing the hellhound. I shot a 5 gallon pail the other day that had been filled with dried hardwood. Due to the hot loads hitting high, I ended up hitting in the top 6 inches of the pail, dead center. I am recovering from the recoil...not unpleasant, just roll with it, and the target is gone. It knocked the bucket over, and sent it meandering down into a ditch in front of the sand banking. Shot the bucket doesn't have as much of a ring as kicked the bucket but I think the results are the same.

For those of you who have heard of Terry Murbach from Cor-Bon, he reports that his 454 Rossi is still as good as the day he first got it. Terry planned on shooting his each week with factory 2nds ammo just to see if it would blow apart as predicted by some. Still going strong so far. That's about it from Vt. Spring has sprung...all 3 days of it. Take Care LIV

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unique seems to be a versatile powder, great for plinking loads, I'm sure there is a few using the bullet you mentioned. I think there is a few in the Speer manual. A little dirty though. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rmouleart
I just tried some Unique loads this weekend- 10grs under 300 XTP-mag. Shot great but only came out at 1195 FPS!
Was trying to get a light load for daughter to use bear hunting -just alittle to light-group was alittle over an inch at fifty yds!:D

·
Registered
572 Posts
LostinVT...I think that Rossi got the hint about the taller front sight before mine came off the line. The front sight on mine was so tall that I had the rear sight run all the way up for the .454 loads and could not bring the light loads onto paper no matter what. A six inch mill file has succeeded in getting it so that I can use the avaliable ramp to get both to print on paper.

RAMbo...I have a mass quantity of the old (dirty) Unique on hand. It'll work in a pinch. I should just resign myself to using the cleaning rod and get that stuff burned up.

GunNut...1195 would do it with a cast bullet I am thinking (up close and personal anyways) but I wonder if that XTP would expand at that speed. I have been running a few of the same bullets over a hefty dose of H110. I think on meat they would flatten out to the size of a quarter at least.

Still havin fun, The Puma is like one of Homers Sireens (sic?) She just keeps singing that song...

Scotty

·
Banned
554 Posts
It's nice you guys bought the .454, but all your loads duplicate .45LC. We haven't seen any data (or bruises) on .454 elephant loads... :D

1 - 20 of 148 Posts