Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got to the range today and fired the Rossi. It digested everything I fed it without a hitch. I started shooting from the bench to see where the sights were set at. The group was centered in the bull at 25 Yds. The longest distance I had available to me. I started with WW factory ammo, then RP, then a little bit of everything I had loaded.
I believe this rifle will shoot very well when I get all the bugs out of it.

My only problems today were very minor. First I need a taller front sight. With the rear sight all the way down, it was grouping about 4" high. I wanted to set it at around 2.5" high but not with this sight.
Second the ejector spring is a bit soft now. Before it was so stiff it was difficult to close the action. But it has been trimmed. I had a few cases extract, eject then do a summersault and fall right back in the action. Kinda funny watching it up close.

I left the bench rest and started shooting offhand. I loaded it up fully and something went wrong. The magazine follower jammed in the mag tube about 8" back from the muzzel. There is no sign of dents or kinks, but I had to ask the range master to let me take the magazine apart to clear the jammed follower.
But it will shoot, and shoot good. I like this Rossi much better in certain ways than I do my Win 94 Trapper. It has a much better ballance to it. It seems to shoulder up better. And it is easier to hold on target.

When I got home I called Mike at M&M and told him about the sight and ejector spring. I also told him how good it shot. He asked me to measure the front sight that was on it, and he said he had a taller one. Then he said he would send me a new ejector spring. NO CHARGE!!!!
He did good work on the gun, and is great on follow up. He admitted that there was definately something wrong in the magazine. But what with the rifle being cross country twice and out of our control I can't find fault there.

For the most part, I'm happy.
Well, I will be when I can get back to AZ and go shooting with it outdoors.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad you could make to the range, and thanks for shareing. I have not put one on layaway, or anything, but a .45 Colt it will be. I saw an Ohio issue Marlin with a 16.5 inch barrel that looked interesting. So many choices! I am glad that I am waiting with patience, cause I know when I fainally get it, it will be the one I really want to start off with!

Have fun!

·
Banned
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nfmMike,

I don't know much about the short barreled Marlins. But I also have a Win 94 Trapper 16" .45.
It doesn't ballance too well. It is an early version with the light (thin) barrel. It needs more weight in the front. The later ones have a heavier (thicker) barrel and seem to be better ballanced.
The 20" barrel on the Rossi just seems to hang right where I want it to be. Loaded or empty.
Suggest you try several barrel lengths to see how you like them.

J

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thank you for advice - I will.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts