Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Thompson Center makes a good one, so does Knight (check their site). I had some custom ones made out of stainless. Also just a good quality ramrod that is pinned and not glued will work. If both ends accept jags, then you can put a T short starter in one end and your jags on the other. Be sure the jag is longer then the barrels you intend to use it on. I like a 36 inch rod.

·
Banned
126 Posts
I usually use a standard ram rod that has not been trimmed to length. Track of the Wolf sells a ram rod with jag tip already installed that is stronger than hickory. You can also purchase a wood round door knob from Home Depot or Lowes and fit it onto the ram rod.

Steel rods tend to work on the crown of the barrel and will affect your accuracy. I use nothing but wood rods.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Made my own out of 3/8" alumnium rod with 10-32 threads on both ends. Usually use "T" handle one end and bullet starter/jag on the other. Also bought wood knobs/balls at the hobby store that I drilled to slip over the rod when at the range.

Many modern muzzle loaders now use recessed rifling with a short section at the barrel end unrifled for easier projectile starting. Don't really know where the crown starts on these barrels.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I bought a cheap CVA rod with no handle a couple years ago and epoxied my own knob it. You can cut it to any length you want. I like it cause its light weight and flexible and won't scar anything.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Cains Outdoors, formerly Mountain State Muzzleloading, has what they call the "Super Rod". You cannot break this rod. Double it over and it still will not break. Great for cleaning between shots or for a good total cleaning. You get get these custom made to fir your rifle or just get it long for cleaning with just a jag on one end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts