Shooters Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Nice to see such a varied ammo selection. El-cheapo bulk to some reasonably high end stuff. :cool:
For me, it's enjoyable to see if there's anything I can do, if only to see if lower-end .22 rimfire ammunition will produce anywhere near MO "squirrel-noggin" groups at 75 yards.
There's a bit over a mile of hardwoods from the rear of my shop to Hwy 53, so there's tons of gray and black squirrels dropping three litters a year back there. Squirrel meat bathed in gravy with dumplings is one of the favorites at our gun club's annual game feed. ;)

Premium Member
Interesting and fun besides!
Well, what did I take away from the friendly shoot outs? Barrel quality!!!!!!!!!

While almost all .22LR rifles will shoot good groups with an ammo the rifle/barrel likes, the better the barrel, the more and greater number of different ammos it will shoot well!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
I completely agree with your posting of "barrel quality" being the actual heart of any .22 rimfire rifle. One of the main reasons that I will use pulled .22 rimfire bullets is to use those for slugging, and then finding the groove size of that specific barrel. Also, I can find where the tight and then open spots in that bore as the pulled bullet is pushed through.
Lead is a "dead" metal and will find those tight spots, yet pass quickly over the more open, or expanded areas of the bore. If/when the muzzle end is found to be tight, that barrel will be a shooter. If the tight area is slightly in back of the muzzle end, it will pay to cut the barrel, within legal limits, to where the bore is tight, square up that end and recrown, and then groups will improve:

Registered
Random thoughts

That homemade bullet puller is pretty cool, tell us about it.

Anschutz barrels are choked on the muzzle end.
A good rimfire gunsmith will slug a new to check for loose spots near the end of a blank before cutting and crowning.
I've have several 22 rimfires rechambered with a match chamber and re-crowned after years of use and a decline in accuracy, always gets a few more years of useful accuracy.

Premium Member
That homemade bullet puller is pretty cool, tell us about it.

Anschutz barrels are choked on the muzzle end.
A good rimfire gunsmith will slug a new to check for loose spots near the end of a blank before cutting and crowning.
I've have several 22 rimfires rechambered with a match chamber and re-crowned after years of use and a decline in accuracy, always gets a few more years of useful accuracy.
Started a new thread.

Registered
Interesting info guys! Used to shoot my Volquestsen 10-22 conversion quite a bit (6.5-20X AO Leupold scope) during 50 yard target club shoots---shot so well it was almost boring... It "liked" many brands of ammo, but with the high-end target stuff, it was spectacular!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts