Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Marlin .375 for a while now and finally got out to the range with for the second time on Saturday. I'd found on my first trip to the range with it that it's Williams peep sight was way high, needing a new higher front sight to function correctly. Instead, I chose to scope it and so I put one of my favorite short-range scopes on it, a Weaver V3 1-3x20. It was very close @ 50 yds on initial firing having used an old Bushnell bore sighter prior to going to the range.

I was really surprised by the seeming light recoil with the load I was shooting; 220gr FN (Hornady) @ 2150 FPS. A pretty decent load, I'd figure. It's a load available through HSM. http://www.thehuntingshack.com/catalog/retail/Retail.pdf
I was more than satisfied with the accuracy shown and figure the load to be a good 200yd deer & hog load. Honestly, I'd figure most shots in the areas I'm planning on using the rifle, will more than likely be well under half that distance.

I welcome any comments, opinions and advice for any with experience or even just an opinion on the load and rifle. Sight-in? Heavier OR lighter bullets?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you ever used the Barnes "Original" 255gr in the .375. I think I might like that load in it for the shorter ranges I'm planning on.
Thanks for the link! :D

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Inactive
592 Posts
It's been seven years since I posted the link that Slim mentioned. Still like my .375 a lot but have dropped back that load to 39.0 to 39.5 grains of 1680. Personally, I have had little luck or taste for bullets heavier than 220 grains.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been seven years since I posted the link that Slim mentioned. Still like my .375 a lot but have dropped back that load to 39.0 to 39.5 grains of 1680. Personally, I have had little luck or taste for bullets heavier than 220 grains.
From what I've read it seems most who have tried the 220gr give it a very favorable rating. I actually doubt I'd need anything bigger as I also own a .444, 45-70 and .450 in lever guns. The .375 was purchased as a twin to my 336ER and to be used for deer & hogs mainly. Sounds like the 220 is just what it and I need. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The first time I took my Marlin 375 out hunting and using a handload with the 220 Hornady loaded to a mild 1850 fps I took a 8pt buck at 45 yards with one shot thru the boiler room.It went 20 yards and expired.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first time I took my Marlin 375 out hunting and using a handload with the 220 Hornady loaded to a mild 1850 fps I took a 8pt buck at 45 yards with one shot thru the boiler room.It went 20 yards and expired.
I like that kind of performance!:D Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I live in Indiana where we have very odd restrictions on cartridges that can be used for hunting deer. As of next spring, the regulations might be changed to allow case lengths up to 1.800" long, firing bullets no smaller than .357". One of the cartridges I considered trying under the current max case length (1.625") was the 375 Whisper, which is a JD Jones creation; the 7BR case necked up to 375.

My question is: If the length is extended to 1.800", would the 375 Winchester, shortened by .220", be something to consider, or would the drop in powder capacity really hamper a bullet of this size?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I don’t have specific dimensions of the 375 Whisper so I put it up on RCBS Load Cartridge Designer and the 375 Whisper with a bullet seated .311” - to the bottom of the neck - has a nominal case capacity of 32.0 grains of A.A. 1690.

The interesting part to all of this is the 375 Winchester case shortened from 2.020” to 1.800” with a bullet seated to the same .311” depth has a nominal case capacity of 32.0 grains of A.A. 1680. Interesting comparison. The Whisper would be the easier case to work with. In the single shot TC action, I would prefer the rimmed case as it is easier to load and unload the rifle while wearing gloves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.