Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may have been discussed before but I thought it was worth mentioning.  I got my Winchester .444 Black Shadow out of layaway this week and was going over the paperwork that came with it.  The manufacturer's specifications card lists the rate of twist as 1 turn in 12 inches. :0  Has anyone else who owns a Black Shadow .444 had an opportunity to verify this.  If it's true than bullets over 300 grains should be fine through this barrel, right?

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Dutch,
     I have never heard of a 444 with this fast a twist! I recall reading about the Black Shadow some time ago and thought it had a 1 in 38 twist, same as the 94 Big Bore. 1 in 12 is the standard twist for the 30-30. I wonder if you were given the 30-30 paperwork by accident or if there is a misprint.
          By all means, you should check your twist rate with a cleaning rod and TIGHT patch. Make a mark up one side of the cleaning rod with a Sharpie. Start the patch in the muzzle with the line on the rod lined up with the front sight. Push the rod in until the mark on the rod makes one full revolution, letting it naturally follow the rifling. Now use the Sharpie to mark the point at which the rod meets the muzzle. Then back out the cleaning rod and measure from the tip to the mark you made on the rod where it entered the muzzle and you will have your actual twist rate.
   Let us know, I would be very interested to see what the twist rate is.          IDShooter

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDSHOOTER-

It's possibly a mis-print.  The card lists the .444 Marlin caliber and 20 inch barrel.  I'll check the twist rate and report back on this thread when I get the results.

If it is a 1 in 12 twist will that create problems with the lighter bullets in the .444?  I hope not as I will not have much use for the heaviest bullets (400 grn, etc) in this caliber.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Dutch,
    That'll be one of those shoot-it-and-see propositions. Even if the twist is fast it may shoot okay with light bullets. You just never know.   ID

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I do not think it is a misprint. That is what I measured when I measured mine.
Run a tight patch on a cleaning rod and tell us what you come up with.
My Timber rifle shoots the Lee 310 gr lead bullet well. I have never splurged for any heavy jacketed bullets. I may someday though, just to see.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slim-

How does your rifle shoot with bullets under 300 grains?  Most of my shooting will probably be done with bullets between 250 and 300 grains.  The meanest thing we have here in Michigan is Black Bear and rabid coyotes! :)

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Mine shoots evrything I have tried very well.

The 210 Hornady XTP's are very acurate.
The Remington bulk 240's have also been very good.
The Sierra 240 JHP is the best so far, but that may not be fair.
The Sierras have shot into a 1.25" circle, but not evry time.
I am the limiting factor as far as group shooting goes.
I am using a 3x Weaver.

My average group with jacketed bullets from the bench is under three inches, when I use a well defined target that the low power scope will define.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slim-

Thanks for the info.  If your having no problems then I won't get concerned for now.  I'll probably measure the rate of twist this weekend to verify.  If it is a 1 in 12 twist and shoots the whole range of available bullets well then I'll just consider it a bonus.

Idshooter-

I'll be sure to post the results once I measure it, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Dutch

I am looking forward to hearing your results.

Watch the palm of your firing hand. Mine tends to get a little pinch from the lever with full power loads, no problem when I back of just a little. It will leav a little blood bliste on my palm!

With summer there is pretty brite ambient light but I am interested in you muzzle blast and flash observations, especialy with either of the 4198's. The ball powders give a bright flash but the 4198's give me a straight tounge of fire about four inches long, very impresive but loud.

With starting loads and any 240gr 44 Mag bullet this is a fast, fun and accurate plinker. Some others on the forum have had reliability problems with the Winchester but I have not. I have shot the rings of a redfield mount but the gun has held up well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts