Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Winchester 1886 45-90 has a rate of twist of 1:20 since it is a reloading proposition and I have to buy bullets (maybe not) what weight of bullets would be best to shoot in this gun?

I do have a box of 300gr. Hollow points, and some 405gr. Hard cast lead on hand, I should be getting my brass tomorrow and would like to get some loaded if possible.

I have been reloading for years but to be honest never did take the time to learn about twist rate and it’s effect on different bullet weights,

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have a similar1886 45-90 rifle and the same twist rate as my Miroku 1886 .45-90.

Mine shoots everything from 300 through 450 grain bullets accurately.
The only 500 grain ammo fired was Cowboy Action stuff that was way too slow to be of interest anyhow. I still have most of that box. Reckon that I should shoot it all just for the brass?

The 300 grain 45-70 hunting ammo at 1800+ fps was enough to take down anything but big DG and will kill big cats. Do not shoot it at anything you do not wish to dismember or disembowel. One 110 yard shot from a deer blind took out two ribs going in and four going out. The **** buck still ran 50+ yards and left a blood trail that even I could follow. No meat lost though.

You will love the loud "thwack" made by the bullet hitting game and targets unless you are so close that it blends in with the report.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You have a similar1886 45-90 rifle and the same twist rate as my Miroku 1886 .45-90.

Mine shoots everything from 300 through 450 grain bullets accurately.
The only 500 grain ammo fired was Cowboy Action stuff that was way too slow to be of interest anyhow. I still have most of that box. Reckon that I should shoot it all just for the brass?

The 300 grain 45-70 hunting ammo at 1800+ fps was enough to take down anything but big DG and will kill big cats. Do not shoot it at anything you do not wish to dismember or disembowel. One 110 yard shot from a deer blind took out two ribs going in and four going out. The **** buck still ran 50+ yards and left a blood trail that even I could follow. No meat lost though.

You will love the loud "thwack" made by the bullet hitting game and targets unless you are so close that it blends in with the report.
Thanks, that’s what I was hoping to hear, from what I had read, I don’t remember where it was other than on the net Winchester designed that round as an express round and optimized the twist rate for the 300 gr. But 405s are much easier to find locally.

Who made, or branded your 1886?

My “Winchester” 1886 45-90 was made by Miroku, as was my browning 1886 45-70 carbine, I was just looking on the net to find the rate of twist, I’ve it for so long that I don’t have any paperwork for it now, anyway from what I can find they have the same rate of twist.

I haven’t hunted big game for several years, I am consumed with waterfowl hunting but I was telling my wife I think I might go deer hunting this year, the kids to seam interested so I will be going alone.

To tell the truth tho chronic wasting disease scares the heck out of me, I know what the warning signs are “supposed to be” but can you really be safe?!

For hunting which do you prefer the 300 or the 405?

Thanks!!!
Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts
For hunting which do you prefer the 300 or the 405?

For most deer, elk and African PG, 300 grain Winchester Protected Point at between 1800 and 2200 fps MV- they work great on Leopard too. For bigger thin skin stuff, Alaska Bullet Works 450 grain Kodiak at 2150 fps - good for Cape Buff and big brownies and such.
For elephant use a solid such a 400 or 450 grain Punch bullet at 2100 +fps. Also North Fork FPS at 2000 + fps ;they are mono and take more room than the Punch which is brass with lead filled base. Both shoot through ele heads and anything else.
All of the above bullets reference was for .45-90 brass.

·
Registered
85 Posts
PS I have nothing against any form of cast bullets, but I have no experience with them in rifles and based on bullet research do not recommend them for large and dangerous game when I know of other bullets that have worked better than cast.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies!!

I doubt I will ever have the opportunity to hunt African dangerous game, any game there actually, I do dream about it tho.

AK bears would be interesting also, in truth I’ll probably have to settle for hunting Utah big game, heck we don’t even have a pig population to hunt here, closest that I know of is Shoshone Idaho, I used my 71 for that.

It seams like years ago there was someone on Leverguns that did an artificial about hunting Cape Buffalo with a 45-70 and hard cast lead solids they said they shot clear through them, but I don’t remember the shot angle they told about.

Thanks again!
Terry

·
Registered
133 Posts
IME, 300-350 grain for the 1886.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IME, 300-350 grain for the 1886.
Thanks.
That’s about the bullet size I was thinking, I want to enjoy shooting this rifle, I had my “fun” shooting full house loads in my carbine, actually found loads that I unloaded because I didn't want to shoot them, I figure 300-350 will be big enough for deer and elk, and if I ever do get the chance to hunt something larger I can always load them up for that whatever that happens to be.

Thanks again!
Terry

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beartoothbullets cast 325 grains shot well in my 1886 .458 4inch.
their 405 grain .460 LFNGC did too.
Have you had better luck with hard cast or with jacketed bullets?

I loaded all of my limited supply of 300 and 400 grain jacketed bullets today so I will need to order some more just don’t want a lot of bullets sitting around that I won’t use.

Thanks,!
Terry

·
Registered
85 Posts

Terry,
My reloading began with .38 Special loads in a model 19 .357 magnum revolver. I shot lots of targets with cast bullets, but when I started loading for hunting or self defense I moved to jacketed bullets and ammo. Then it was my 1892 .357 rifle, and then M70 .308 all jacketed ammo and hand loads. Upon moving on to .405 Winchester and 45-70 and 45-90 hunting loads were all jacketed or solids. I also hunt with double rifles in .405 and in .45-70; all jacketed or solids and mostly handloads.

I have very little actual hunting experience with center fire cast bullets. IMHO, either cast or jacketed are fine for deer, hogs, elk, and such as most shooting is at reasonably close range and the game never knows what type bullet killed it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Terry,
My reloading began with .38 Special loads in a model 19 .357 magnum revolver. I shot lots of targets with cast bullets, but when I started loading for hunting or self defense I moved to jacketed bullets and ammo. Then it was my 1892 .357 rifle, and then M70 .308 all jacketed ammo and hand loads. Upon moving on to .405 Winchester and 45-70 and 45-90 hunting loads were all jacketed or solids. I also hunt with double rifles in .405 and in .45-70; all jacketed or solids and mostly handloads.

I have very little actual hunting experience with center fire cast bullets. IMHO, either cast or jacketed are fine for deer, hogs, elk, and such as most shooting is at reasonably close range and the game never knows what type bullet killed it.
Thank you!!!

What kind of double rifles do you have?

I have always loved doubles, most of my shotguns are doubles, they are so classic.

Thanks again
Terry

·
Registered
133 Posts
A few (many) years back when I could tolerate the recoil of full house .45-70 loads in a light Marlin 1895 carbine, I used 385 grain hard cast GC bullets with good results. But after trying the 400 grain Speer JSP bullets, I switched. Those bullets, even loaded down to 1600FPS would anchor an elk like he was pole-axed.

Unfortunately age and arthritis caught up with me before I had the chance to try any of the "nuclear" loaded 300 grain JSP or JHP bullets in that .45-70.

Cast lead has worked so well with black powder in the .45-90 that I've pretty much stuck with them.

Reactions: TMair

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok those are nice looking guns, I should put those on my wish list!!!

So I am guessing the S in CRS stands for Shelton, I have Shelton in my ancestry.

Terry

1 - 20 of 32 Posts