Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wandering how popular this little Raven is .. It's always been a fine little shooter never a problem not one .. only thing I don't like about it was. The stiff trigger pull but I just fixed it after 40 years .. I took the trigger spring out and set it on a red hot stove eye for about 20 min then dropped it in a tsp leveled with oil ..that worked .. trigger pull is nice .. should have done this year's ago but just didn't think of it ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
It's one of the founding members of the infamous Davis family of guns that cropped up with the GCA'68. As 'designated destruction deputy', I probably threw two dozen Raven/Jennings/Davis/Sterling 25s off the front end of a boat....after shooting at flying fish first, of course. :)

Reactions: jimboro

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Raven was the quintessential "Saturday Night Special" of the '60's, '70's and '80's. They were dirt cheap, shiny and cute. But there's a secret about Ravens. THEY WORK!! They tend to be pretty reliable pistols and shoot rather straight. They are notorious for breaking firing pins, but replacements abound. I kinda wish I had one, its a real period piece.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
It's hard to mess up such a simple Browning design. Made well from steel, they command good prices. Pot metal castings not so much. Magazines are the key to reliability, but carrying one fully cocked and maybe locked is not for me and carrying one (Schmeisser) without one in the spout nearly cost me dearly in a Reno alley. I changed guns that day.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
The saving grace is that they did work better than the other cheap .25's of the time. Can't swear how how they'd work, but the average buyer wouldn't have been likely to put 100 rounds though it in a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
When I went to work full time in '69, we sold (or gave) individual rounds of ammo so the freshly bought gun was loaded with fresh ammo when it left the shop. At that time, handgun ammo and .22 RF had to be signed out in a hard bound book. Since we were the only Browning ammo dealer in several hundred miles, it made crime solving a little easier later as a deputy sheriff. ;)
I don't recall ever selling a full box of .25 auto or 32 S&W.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I've got one Raven and two Bauer .25s Never shot the Raven and have had it 30+ years. Shot my Bauer's some and upon inspection the safety lever on one was broke. It's been retired for a long time. The other one, I sometimes carried as a third gun, in my left front pants pocket. I was a one man unit in a very unfriendly part of town. BTW, it always was carried without a round in the chamber, never truly trusted a striker fired pistol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts