Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No offense to moderator, but there is no published data for Model 70 Classics after, I think 1991. This is why you can't find any information on when your rifle was built. I have to laugh at some of the build dates reported by people who called Winchester to get the DOM on their rifle! :D It seems even Winchester doesn't realize a serial number without the "G" prefix and with the "G" prefix are DIFFERENT! :D Your rifle with a "G939XX" serial number must be a Classic, and my best guess, based on rifles in my collection, would be 1995 to 1996. Winchester serial numbers get very confusing after the introduction of the Classics! Hope this helps! :)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Mud-stud, it is common knowledge that Winchester often could not tell you weather or not a certain rifle was made and in what configuration that might be etc. My case in point was several years ago when I purchsed a model 70 Winchester in the .270 caliber for her to shoot pronghorn and deer with during the season.

The rifle was a featherweight model, with beautiful burl walnut stock. The store owner and I both liked to fell over when he opened up the box on this great looking model 70, which was all stainless steel mind you. Now that piece of wood would cost a person at least $350 to $450 dollars.

We took the rifle home and two weeks later, I tried to get the same rifle in a 25-06 caliber. Winchester told me "no way" that a stainless was in a featherweight model...........Dah!
Well, I went down and asked the gun store owner to get me one in the 1/4 bore. He called up and they told him the same thing. I then told them, I have the rifle in the vault and it is a featherweight .270 caliber in stainless. I was then asked is this a "Prank Call" I said why no and I will give you people the friggin serial number..........they simply hung up the phone. It seems as though the right hand never knew what the left hand was doing at the Winchester plant.:rolleyes: :(

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
There is good info on Win Mod 70 rifles build dates for pre-'64. The G-series generates most of the questions and I don't think I've seen any good info on that series.

Other than KNOWING, does it matter? They're still a good rifle, but as yet, not collectible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts