Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
RCBS has a great reputation for standing behind its products and that is a real "pro".  The only "con" I can think of is that it is not a Dillon.

dclark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dennis, I purchased a RCBS Pro-2000 this past January and got it running in February.  Overall it does an excellent job - the ammo I make (.357 Mag) is first rate.  That said I have not been happy with the depriming and priming system on the machine - I had problems depriming and priming.

As for depriming, no matter how deeply I set the decapping pin on my resizing die at the first station I would occasionally get a spent primer that would not fall into the drop tube.  This allowed the spent primer to stay in the shellplate and rotate to the 2nd station (priming and expanding).  At the 2nd station the spent primer would do one of three things; it would sit on the fresh primer perfectly alligned and be re-inserted into the case, or it would crush the fresh primer, or it would cause the fresh primer not to be inserted and then I would have no primer in the case.  All of these problems caused other problems (finished round with a spent primer, a crushed primer or no primer and spilled powder).

A second primer problem concerns leverage in the press (even when the APS was feeding correctly) and I am repriming the resized case.  All of the press leverage is in the downstroke (which is working all five die stations simulataneously as it should).  Priming is done on the upstroke - out of 100 rounds I would get about 12-15 that had SLIGHTLY high primers - I simply could not get the feel that I can get from a RCBS hand priming tool, a RCBS standard bench top priming tool or even from the RCBS automatic bench top priming tool.

I now do my depriming/repriming as part of case preparation and have removed the depriming stem/pin from my resizing die.  The result is that it takes me about 15 minutes to deprime and reprime 100 cases vs the 20 minutes it takes to "recover" from a missed primer and cleaning up the spilled powder that gets down into the shellplate and shellplate table.

I don't believe that this problem only occurs with the Pro-2000 either; a friend of mine has the Hornady Lock n load progressive press - he also has experienced priming and depriming problems.  So has the local gunshop owner with his Dillon.  

Thats my story and I sticking to it!  Odessa

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Priming (and depriming) are the weak links on all progressive presses.

The good presses allow you to see (and hear) what's going on with that part of the operation so you can spot mistakes.  

I always make an effort to see that the new primer was picked up and heading for the new shell without being upside down, sideways, or just completely missing.  It may slow down the loading cycle just a bit but saves a lot of clean up time.  Having gotten in the habit of depriming in a separate operation, this isn't a problem when loading metallics (I still use the depriming feature on shotshell presses).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi there,
I have used the Pro 2000 for 4 years now. I got it brand new and I have enjoyed it alot. I like the case retention system, wherein the cases are alligned to the dies that is on the die plate. I like the die plate and being able to put a FACTORY CRIMP die in the last stage. Make sure you visualize having powder in your cases each time you seat a bullet. RCBS has very good reputation of replacing any part that breaks or got lost, mostly due to my stupidity. The APS priming system is really great!!! Just buy CCI primers. I loaded my 300 Ultra Mag bullets in the Pro 2000 and it was just fine. Lubricate before you decap though coz it will get stuck. I load 45s, 38, .40, .300 RUM. I also use RCBS dies. You need to have x tra decapping pins. Make sure you record the number that you have on your powder system for future use. It is very sturdy and would work with a good work bench. Definitely would last a lifetime....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts