Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences betwixt the RockChucker and the Reloader Special 5? (besides about &#3625  :wink:)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Alan,

The Reloader Special 5's Frame is made from high-speed ectapoly chromate (Aluminum). The Rock Chucker's frame is made from Cast-Iron.

The RockChucker has the provision for the RCBS Auto Primer Feed. Both have Compound Leverage but the RockChucker has a sturdier attachment of the toggle arms at the press frame. Both have the upper bushing for larger die use. The Rockchucker appears to have a better setup for the primer arm than the RS5 to me. The RS5 Priming arm is the flip down type. The RS5 frame is offset for to the right for a better view of the cartridge.

To be honest, either press will suit you. Basically, two quality made presses with slightly different designs. If you plan on some heavy duty work, I'd get the Rockchucker. It will last you the rest of your life provided you don't use it for a wheel chock or something.  The RS5 is a good tool also and if you plan on going to some more expensive press eventually, you could go with that for less cash outlay to begin with.

Assess you budgetary constraints and objectives and act accordingly.

How's that for double talk. :biggrin:

Regards

:cool:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Contender..You are in rare form tonight!!!! Semper Paratus!!
Bye..South Moon Under at 2:30 pm our time..boat's ready..Things will swim and crawl!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Assess you budgetary constraints and objectives and act accordingly"

Me objectives are many but the monies is few  :biggrin:

What to do, what to do.  What would you do?  Buy a Lee Anniversary kit and a tumbler or buy an RCBS kit and the sundry items needed to match the Anniversary package contents and save to get the rest over a few month period.  I'm torn...I read and hear positive feedback about all Lee equipment and I have also been given stern warnings to stay away from Lee products.  This is difficult because this information comes from sources that I have come to know and trust.  I can only assume that Lee products have a higher than average "lemon" factor.

Tomorrow's going to be a gooooood day.  I will shoot the Redhawk for the first time, I've got a new case of clay birds and a couple hundred reloaded 20 ga. Peter shells (thanks James!), and I have a new  brick of .22 ammo and an accurate little Romanian trainer .22 rifle.

Blessings to all,

Alan

·
Registered
16 Posts
always,always,buy quality. if you save and get the RCBS master kit you will never have to upgrade anything. with the LEE kits you will if you continue on into more advanced reloading. some LEE products are great, like the hand press for loading at the range, also the case trimmer too. good luck,and jump in,the waters fine.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Alan, I'm new to this board and just saw your post. Of course by now you've probably already got a press but for the record i'd like to add that i've been using a RS5 press for close to ten years now. I'm just a 'casual' [and basic] reloader and from a quick inventory of primers i estimate i've only loaded around 7000 rounds on it.  While it still seems to be  perfectly usable i do notice a bit of slop in the linkage and the ram that i don't remember it having when it was new.  I have been satisfied with it and think it would probably be ok for most any but  the 'hard core' handloaders that are in the market for a single-stage press although i have to admit whenever i get to the store and see the rockchucker they have on display there i'm always wishing i had spent the extra bucks [but then realize the RS5 has been working just fine for me anyhow].  

1 - 6 of 6 Posts