Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rifle has an enlarged barrel, about 4" long, under the rear sight area. I bought it used.  Marlin will replace the barrel with a 22", ballard-style rifling and 1-20 twist barrel for &#36150, total cost.  Will this twist stabelize 240-265 gr. bullets as well as the heavier bullets?  

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is a real deal which is not worth hesitating over.  The 20" twist is ideal for bullets over about 280 grains (depending on profile) and will also stabilize pistol weight bullets.  The 20" twist is the industry standard for .44mag handguns.

Forty Four

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
When you say "enlarged  barrel", do you mean that the inside of the barrel has been swelled up (fired with bore obstruction)?  

(Edited by MikeG at 9:36 pm on Jan. 21, 2002)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIKEG:  Yes, the barrel's interior is enlarged.  With a tight patch, you can feel a big difference. No wonder it was reasonably priced!  Like you said, probably a bore obstruction.  I can usually shoot 2" with peeps, and this rifle won't shoot under 4" with anything I try.  Different bench techniques, powder charges and bullets don't seem to help. Could it have come from the factory that way? I have taken one mature doe at 79 paces and the caliber had a dramatic effect using Hornady's 265 gr.! FORTYFOUR: Thanks, shooting pistol bullets for practice and the heavies to harvest game is what I was hoping for.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Wow... someone is lucky they didn't lose a finger, a hand, or most of their face.

So, perhaps you just answered the question if 4" of freebore helps... it surely does not!

I'd send it Marlin ASAP.  Amazing that it shoots at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikeG: I have not seen a barrel that had a stuck bullet with another fired behind it. How long should this expansion be when this occurs in a 444?  Definitely a dangerous situation.  I wonder if I was in harms way shooting the rifle?  I will definitely be sending it to Marlin.  Thanks again for the advice.  

1 - 6 of 6 Posts