Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really nice wood on a 1965 era 700 BDL in 22-250 (first year) but it has lost the gilt edge accuracy. In fact its shot out and you don't need a bore scope to know. I love the the quality but am torn between buying a like new but older tang safety Ruger Varmint model or having someone re-barrel with a medium sporter weight Shilen barrel. I suspect the latter cost would approximate purchase of a $600 Ruger. Am I close?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,516 Posts
Get a good gunsmith to put a A&B or Lilja barrel on it and don't look back. The 700BDL that is.

RJ

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
If its your favorite rifle, I'd rebarrel it. Yes, a new rifle is cheaper, and there is nothing wrong with that, but if it has a lot of sentimental value then I would keep it and shoot it.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Reduce, reuse and recycle...that's what my kids keep telling me, as that is what they're being taught, in school. There is nothing quite so satisfying, to me, as taking a classic firearm and seeing it function like new again. If you've owned that 22-250 since it was new and shot enough rounds through it that it needs a new barrel, I'd say it deserves one! ;)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Usually the rifling isn't the issue, it's the throat. Just bring it to a 'smith and have him set the barrel back and recut the chamber. That will cost little money, and give you a new gun without changing the look of the gun.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
A new high quality barrel will be extremely accurate if the installation is done correctly

My vote, "rebarrel"

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've shot out a few old Remingtons in my time and yes the throat is first to go. I've got a nostalgia for older rifles like the early 700's and Ruger tang safeties that gets me in trouble at times. I spotted this one at a gunshow and the price was right about two years ago. I thought the bore OK but you know how dark it is in gunshows. No sentimentality attached except it kinda matches the like NIB 700 ADL 243 that I found also made in 1965.

I have an 1984 vintage Ruger tang safety varmint in .243 that is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've ever had. Buddy says his varmint 22-250 model will shoot just as well. Thats why I'm considering buying the older but like new Ruger.

The older 700 is just so classic I hate to let it go and I don't like selling something defective like what was done to me. Maybe buy the Ruger and find a takeoff Rem barrel in 308 or 260 might be the way to go.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about A&B or Lilja. What about Shaw?

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
e.r. shaw barrels are very good in my experience and very reasonably priced as well. i currently only have one shaw barrel but i also have no issues about buying another.

·
Banned
484 Posts
Another vote for sending it to E.R. Shaw for a new barrel. They have done 3 for me and are the least expensive place to have it done that I know of. All 3 of the ones they have done for me, a .243, a .270 and a .358, have looked great and shot wonderfully. You can get any length, profile or finish you want, plus extras like fluting if you are into that sort of thing.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
good call!! a 260 would be nice... so would rebarrelling it to 22/250. i have a 700 that i am using as a switch barrel rifle and it is rather handy, 30/06 & 25/06 AI. it's a 30/06 right now as i kinda got nostalgic this past fall, besides i took a deer with the 25/ bbl. last year so it's at the back of the rotation.
i have a 700 classic in 300 savage that i'm considering getting a 250 savage bbl. for and doing the same thing with it. it really is rather simple to change out a bbl. and taking my time, being carefull with the dissasembly and reassembly it probably only takes about a half hour. i have a set of the luepold quick release rings and bases on it which works wonderfully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
to rebarrel or not rebarrel, that is the question.

Really nice wood on a 1965 era 700 BDL in 22-250 (first year) but it has lost the gilt edge accuracy. In fact its shot out and you don't need a bore scope to know. I love the the quality but am torn between buying a like new but older tang safety Ruger Varmint model or having someone re-barrel with a medium sporter weight Shilen barrel. I suspect the latter cost would approximate purchase of a $600 Ruger. Am I close?
you could check gunbroker.com for a factory take off barrel. Properly installed should be very accurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts