Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a TC Encore barrel from a local guy who claimed he couldnt get it to shoot any good. After I checked it over I found that the chamber was a little short. The guy who had it only used store bought ammo, and was jamming the bullet into the lands every time he closed the gun. I put together some re-loads w/ a short COL and went to the range. Gun prints pretty good groups, sure I can tweek that @ the re-loading bench.

Here is my question. How difficult is it to have the barrel re-chambered for 338-06? Would I be better off buying a new barrel for the 338-06?

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
620 Posts
That would involve having the entire barrel rebored from .308 to .338, which I'm sure by the time you get done with that and the re-chamber, would be cheaper just to buy a new barrel!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,135 Posts
My local gun maker tells me its as cheap to rebarrel as it is to rebore/chamber - unless there's a specific reason you wanted to retain the original barrel.

·
Banned
47 Posts
It is a very simple matter to have a local smith touch up the chamber with a reamer to the proper deapth. Considerably less expensive also.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
It is a very simple matter to have a local smith touch up the chamber with a reamer to the proper deapth. Considerably less expensive also.
From .308 to .338 is not just a chamber "touch up", but to leave it as a .30-06 would not need anything more than reaming the chamber.

My choice would be to get another barrel, because then I would have two.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Before I purchased a new barrel or had any work done on it I would check all the little things. My Pro Hunter in 22-250 took a while to figure out. I adjusted the headspace, oversized hingepin and stronger hammer spring. Huge differance in groups with all loads I tried. Barrel also took about 200 rounds to smooth up. Now it's a tack driver. Every T/C barrel may need a differant hinge pin and headspace shim due to the factory tollerances. After many ours of playing and $60.00 in parts mine is great. If I hadn't known this I would have traded the whole thing at a loss I'm sure. Good thing Bellm makes these parts.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If you can get it too shoot well with your reloads, what is the problem? Are you needing to load some long 180s or 200s?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
It sounds like your barrel just has a short throat. Many custom/wildcat guns are built with a specific bullet in mind. If you would like your '06 barrel to shoot 165gr Nosler Partitions, for example, you can send the barrel, along with a dummy case loaded with that bullet, to your gunsmith. He can then use a reamer to set the throat at the right length, allowing you to load exactly the way you would prefer.

These days it just doesn't pay to ream out a barrel to a new size...easier to get the right bore and then have it chambered to the cartridge you want to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts