Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of my reloading bench setup in a basement closet that is under the stairwell. I ran some 2x6 cleats along the walls on each side that are fastened to the studs. A 2x12 is fastened across the front edge for beefy press mounting and 2x6's across to the rear about a foot apart. Then a sheet of 1/2 plywood was fastened over the top for a smooth surface. The shelf to the rear butts along the top against the angled(stairwell) ceiling. Plenty of storage left underneath to the rear of the closet. Installed a flourescent fixture and pulled up a chair and was in business. This pic was taken about 12 years ago. I have since made a setup to quickly change presses on the benchtop. Also the shelves are LOADED now. Just offered here to give others ideas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Contender -

Your setup sounds interesting; I look forward to seeing a pic.

Marshall - your article is very informative as well as timely!  I'm a newbie on a budget :^)

Your "limited reloading space" article looks favorably upon the Lee Loader while your  posts on this handloading forum state you are not impressed with Lee presses.  With that in mind, should I order (when the time comes) a Lee Loader for a 45 colt or the Lee or Lyman hand press?  Using the Lee Loader, would I have to worry about crimping headaches (referencing your recommendation to use a Redding Profile Crimp Die for pistol cases)??

Thank you and God Bless,

Alan

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

For the money, the little Lyman Accupress is quite a bargain!  It is a whole lot of press for the money, and versatile as well.   Just reversing the toggle linkage (two bolts) convert it from a hand press to a bench press, or vice-versa.  This allows you to use it as a totally portable press, to even take to the range with you for on the spot load development.  I just looked at Widner's website, and they sell the unit for &#3628.00!

I would give you a photo of one, but I've owned at least two and maybe three of them, and someone always manages to talk me out of them... I am Accupress-less at the moment, or else you would get a look-see at one... did a breif look on the web for a photo, and even Lyman doesn't have one... so sorry for the lack of photo.

All-in-all it is very compact and versatile, a lightweight "C" style press, and yes it will fit in one of the larger tackle-box loading kits like mentioned in the Tech Note article!

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Marshall - that answers my question!

I found a pic of the Accupress as part of a kit - for those interested:

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Alan,

Nice photo!  Where'd it come from?

You know, I don't have a clue what the pictured kit costs, but it would be an excellent place to start on putting together your loading setup... especially if short on space and funds.

A great starting place!

Blessings,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of the Accumeasures with the little brass drum bushings. Neat little measure for portable carry for pistol target loading.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Marshall -

That photo came from the Lyman home page under the reloading kits icon.

Thus far, I've purchased a used but in new condition Lyman 500 scale, a 55 powder measurer (very old...the attached knocker has a groove 1/2" long by 1/4" deep! but the 3 slide cavity is in perfect condition), 2 reloading books and a bullet puller.  My father-in-law has a Lee hand press so I will initially purchase a Lee carbide speed die and a Redding Crimp die.  I'm trying to get setup with a revovler, leather, and basic reloading supplies for under &#36550 - it's gonna be tough!

God Bless,

Alan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting ready to load at the range, I loaded on the other side of the shop for practice. I got a &#3620 Lee press and mounted it to a 2X4. I clamp the 2X4 to the bench with a C clamp.

Likewise I clamp the powder measure to the bench with a C clamp.

Getting ready to load one caliber remotely is fairly easy, if one takes primed brass. The hard part is getting a stable and eye level place for the scale.

(Edited by clark at 7:46 pm on April 21, 2001)

·
Registered
14 Posts
When the kids were small, I needed a way to keep them out of my handloading stuff. I could not talk the wife out of a closet either. I solved the problem  by buying a locking office cabinet about 4 ft wide X 6 ft high X 20 inches deep.  It was made kind of light so I replaced one of the shelves with a 1" plywood sheld and used aluminum brackets to mount the shelf to the metal cabinet walls. The system worked well enough that 20 years later it is still in service. Still can not talk the wife out of a closet.
Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
So many great ideas here.  I used to have a Lee bench loader for a .308 Norma Magnum.  Wish I'd never sold that combination!  

Anyway my economical press set up is a &#3610 dresser fro the used furniture store.  On it is my Dillong 550B, surrounded by scale, funnels, allen wrenches and other quick access tools.  My lube tray is paper towels soaked in One Shot lube.  I currently load for five calibers to the sixth drawer holds the labeling  stuff and other odds and ends like the OAL Gauge and such.  

Next to that is an old piece of furniture I used to have in a dorm room (for stereo).  It was made from one piece of 1/2" plywood.  It holds my MEC Jr. bolted to the top, I load sitting down on the bottom section.  Inside is room for powder, primers (separated), wads, shot, tools, 3# coffee can for trash (yes sometimes I ruin a case).  

These two "benches" take up about a 4x7 of floor space counting my standing room.  I do have a storage trunk for unused equipment or "someday."  It holds unused scopes, slings, old fired cases, and whatever.  My case vibratory sits on the floor because it works best there.  

At this point, my setup is not locked to prevent small children out.  That is preferable.  But my youngest is 17 and knows better that to touch my stuff without my presence and special permission.  (I got my bluff in a LONG time ago!)  

1 - 11 of 11 Posts