Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi from afhghanistan. need some info on an old mauser I found over here. markings are as follows:
WAFFENFABRIK
MAUSER A-G
OBERNDORF A/N
SN# 63550
DATED 1890

if anybody has any info Id be grateful. mostly interested in caliber and a possible source of ammo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Most likely a "Commission" mauser, I forget the exact model dates but think maybe 1888? I used to have a couple of them around.

Most likely 8x57 but could be the obsolete bore size of .318" - don't shoot with modern ammo unless you are sure, especially not the hot Turk 857 ball. The Turks rebarreled a bunch of them to .323" bores and did use them, they were not shy about recycling. Given the area of the world you are in that is most likely the source but you never know. See if there are any crescent moons stamped on it anywhere.

Here is some interesting reading:

http://www.texastradingpost.com/m88/commission88.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no crescent moons on it. looks all original to me. action functions good. Looks like an old hunting rifle. looked at your link Mike. not the same gun. bolt is very similar though. weapon is built similar to modern bolt action hunting rifles

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Well .... on further thought, it could well be a local 'copy' of an old gun, with a smattering of parts / features from other guns. There is quite a cottage industry in that part of the world.

Or someone had the barreled action of an 1888 rifle, and put it in a different stock. Is there a shroud around the barrel?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no shroud. just a shorter wooden forstock with maybe 12" of barrel past that. has a sling point mounted on the barrel. would say its some form of carbine

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would also like to point out the industries of reproductions in that area of the world a friend of mines son brought back a "British" flint lock pistol with correct markings , even tower of London stampings (from Afghanistan), it could fool anyone but an expert but was a fake.

Not to say yours is a fake but if you start researching it and find things that just don't add up you might consider that.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
There were civilian sporter versions of the Commission rifles built. Maybe yours is one? A picture would be a huge help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would also like to point out the industries of reproductions in that area of the world a friend of mines son brought back a "British" flint lock pistol with correct markings , even tower of London stampings (from Afghanistan), it could fool anyone but an expert but was a fake.

Not to say yours is a fake but if you start researching it and find things that just don't add up you might consider that.

I am aware of this. Am running into alot of what appear to be old enfield rifles. I posted while ago about them. most I see, do seem to be local copies as they allseem to hae a date stamp from around the same time period. And I did run into one that was marked with a castle and arabic writing that I was told translated into Made in Afghanistan. I know this area is heavily loaded with copies and fakes of just about everything ever made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts