Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange times we live in. I was looking for a lever gun in a pistol caliber, and being a poor retired boy, keep the price down. Well you all know the availability situation running thru the firearms industry so pickings were real slim. A Henry was a definite possibility, but didnt really need an octagon barrel, and was holding out for a modern pistol caliber that I already had reloading stuff for. Hah. After weeks of online searching and numerous phone calls and emails to dealers in a reasonable distance, I decided to re-think my requirements. I finally landed a Henry Frontier model in 22 WMR, and the more I shoot it, the more I like it, even the octagon barrel. Very smooth solid action, nice heft, accurate with the few brands of ammo that have shown up, great look and finish. I am impressed, and it is close to becoming my favorite rifle, maybe even favorite gun. So if anyone is considering a Henry lever rifle, in my opinion you cant go wrong with one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Big fan of the 22 wmr myself. . Maybe ruger marlin will surprise us.. if so I will have one .
I bought a new Henry Golden boy and it feels nice. Unfortunately my old back yard shooting grounds are now high density housing and I have to drive for almost an hour to a place that is still legal to shoot. My beautiful Golden boy in 22 mag will be fired for the first time next week. Two years ago I reamed my Model 24 Savage , break action 22 LR over 20 Ga to 22 Mag over 20 gauge. The SAMI pressures are the same for both cartridges due to so many 22 LR to 22 Mag conversions. I fell quickly in love with the 22 mag cartridge. It is quiet enough for near suburbs shooting and 2x the power of the 22 LR. I bought a new Savage 22 LR rifle for cheap plinking. I am 70 years old now so I bought the Golden Boy because my kids love lever guns and it will last them their whole lives .

·
Registered
797 Posts
I see where Henry makes a Lever Action in ... 41 Magnum ... Oh My Goodness ,
I've always thought the 41 Magnum in a lever carbine was about the most perfect blend of power and handling ... I know we got some government stimulated money a few weeks ago .
Wonder if the wife would contribute some to my GoFundGaryHenryRifle Fund ???
I already have dies , powder , primers and bullet moulds ...
... I Are Ready Teddy !
Gary

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see where Henry makes a Lever Action in ... 41 Magnum ... Oh My Goodness ,
I've always thought the 41 Magnum in a lever carbine was about the most perfect blend of power and handling ... I know we got some government stimulated money a few weeks ago .
Wonder if the wife would contribute some to my GoFundGaryHenryRifle Fund ???
I already have dies , powder , primers and bullet moulds ...
... I Are Ready Teddy !
Gary
I passed on a 41 cal when I was looking, really wanted a caliber I already had supplies for,,,, gave it a lot of thought......but it had a big price tag to go with that big bore.....

·
Registered
797 Posts
I passed on a 41 cal when I was looking, really wanted a caliber I already had supplies for,,,, gave it a lot of thought......but it had a big price tag to go with that big bore.....
I've owned a Model 58 S&W for about 40 years ... so have all the reloading gear plus one of just about every 41 magnum mould Lyman , NOE and Lee makes / made
... So it was a no brainer !
My buddy has a Marlin in 41 mag . , but won't part with it for love, blood or money !
I've been trying to get it for 25 years or so ... Marlin didn't make that many of them .
Not a thing wrong with 357 Magnum ...probably the most practical ... Congratulations on getting a fine looking Henry !
Gary

·
Registered
228 Posts
My sister and brother-in-law (via their Elks club) get Rifles supplied by Henry to raffle off for charity at gun shows in the Michigan area. This is a very nice thing that Henry does. A great American Company.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts