Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I just ordered an H&R Trapper model in 357 Mag. I am going to have this turned into a 357 Maximum and that is where I have some questions.

I have talked to a local gunsmith and was quoted $125 for the job. I don't know if that is in line or not...any comments? He told me he has to rent a reamer and I assume I will get a SAAMI chamber which after reading on Belm's site , that is not the best for accuracy because of the forcing cone in the chamber.

Is a chamber reamer necessary for the job? I am not actually cutting a new chamber but really just lengthening the mag chamber right? That leads to another question...I read up on using a 380 reamer that doesn't have the chamber profile with a forcing cone like the Maximum uses. I imagine all you are doing there is lengthening the throat to accept the longer cartridge.

I guess a little advice would be appreciated. I have never had a project like this done before but am thinking with the cost of a gunsmith vs. the price of renting reamers I would attempt this on my own if it isn't too complex of a job.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I actually spoke with Mike Bellm today about this and he gave me the contact info for David White. Very nice gentlemen , both of them. Mike actually referred David for the job and said he is set up better for the H&R. So off to him it goes!

I have been looking for a rifle to shoot the Maxi through for a while now and for the money this little H&R Trapper is hard to beat. I was going to use a No.1 and before I spend that kind of money this H&R will be great for testing the Maxi in a rifle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 21" Contender barrel I have been shooting for many years. When you get your rifle back, start a loading thread and we'll shoot with you.
That sounds great. I have roughly 1500 rounds of new brass lying around for the Maximum so there will be a lot of shooting being done!:D I have a Super Blackhawk in the Max also but needed something else to go with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In a rifle, you might be happier with a tighter and cheaper change to the chamber, than a SAAMI reamer.

If you measure you loaded cartridges before you put them into the chamber, and measure the chamber, the difference is clearance. That clearance can hurt accuracy in a straight wall cartridge.

When shooting groups at 100 yards, this make a difference, but if you just want to feel recoil, it does not matter.
Yes , I am aware of the SAAMI chamber specs. It is going to be done with the reamer that eliminates the forcing cone so I am hoping an increase in accuracy will be the end result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.