Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just did what the process Mike spelled out in this article. I just followed Mike's method and ordered a couple non-gunsmithing reamers for my 44's and 45 colt's. The reamer for the 45 colt came in yesterday and I reamed a Redhawk and a Blackhawk that had undersized throats for my bores. It went pretty darn smooth.

I had to vary his method a tad. The brass I was using to make the collets for the reamer was pretty thick. It was starline brass that was unsized. After cutting it with a small tubing cutter as described it was a lot of work to get it on the reamer. When I did finally get it on, it would not fit in the chamber; too thick. So, I tossed that piece. I then used the reamer to ream another unsized case BEFORE cutting. The cut from the tubing cutter left plenty of taper for holding it on the reamer. There was zero room for any muffler tape to fit. It left just enough room for the case to fit the chambers and turn. Everything else was spot on. I used an 11.5mm reamer which is .4528 from Atlas Cutting Tools. My bores slugged out at .452. I still need to fire lap the thread choke from them, but I bet they both shoot better with the chambers opened up a bit. I hope to test them later today.

I will be doing the same process on a couple 44 spl's when that reamer arrives.

Thanks Mike for the article.

Mike.44

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. Glad to hear the report. You did the right thing by experimenting with the proper sleeve thickness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went and shot it today. Got about 2 1/4" with 300 gr cast handloads, and 1 1/2" with Undrwood jacketed xtp"s. This was all at 25 yds. I bet it will get even better when I have firelapped it. My buddy was so impressed he had me do his BH tonight. His chambers were all over the board before. But now they are all .4528. Great article.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts