Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted a Williams FoolProof on my new 1886.  I also bought a Marbles #87 rear sight dovetail blank at the same time (from brownells), and drove out the factory rear site.  The blank is loose in the slot!  It bottoms going across on the taper with maybe 2/3 of the slot used up, rather then being even.

Has anyone else put a blank in their 1886 rifles, and if so, which one?

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

I lost a Marble's blank last fall because I did not "tighten" it into the slot.  The slot is probably cut with a metric cutter that does not translate well to the English dimension of the blank.  A gunsmith put in a blank and tightened it by peening the top edges of the slot with a hammer and drift pin.  Not the prettiest job I have ever seen, but it has withstood a few hundred rounds.

dclark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello Tom-

Another trick you may want to consider is a dab of acraglass put on the bottom of blank before inserting into the slot.  This technique doesn't require peening the barrel, is secure, and can be undone using a bit of heat as with a propane torch, should you ever care to remove the blank.

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a few judicious taps with my rawhide mallet tightened the slot right up.  I also put a drop of rubber cement on the blank, prior to installing.  Everything looks great now, thanks for the advice.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts