Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have this 1892 in 25-20. I have been trying to sight the thing in, and just discovered the culprit, sort of. The rear sight is running at an angle from the dovetail to the actual buckhorn . In other words the pointer on the dovetail part is not necessarily in line with the sight. It appears that someone before me tried to adjust the sight by taping the sight in the rear and not the dovetail. As you can see in the pic's it is not 90* to the dovetail slot. You can see the runout of the tang on the barrel. Has anyone ever had this issue, and can it be corrected without damaging the entire sight? Or should I just leave well enough alone??? Thoughts are very welcome.

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Either the dovetail is crooked to the bore line or the sight is bent. The notch seems centered, though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either the dovetail is crooked to the bore line or the sight is bent. The notch seems centered, though.
Yes the notch is in the center more or less. I think the sight has been bent at the dovetail somehow. I am just wondering if it can be straightened out without damaging the sight?

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
They will 'adjust ' some before the leaf buckles . Tap the rear over to align it with the barrel and then drift over the dovetail. It wont bend much but might straighten out for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts