Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend looking to change rear sights. The dovetail is larger than 3/8s. He would like a full buckhorn. Any help?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
There are several solutions to the problem depending upon what's being worked upon. One cure is to make an insert to fit the existing dovetail that is solid, and have the top of the insert be flush with the top of the barrel, then having drilled and tapped the insert, have it be one attaching point for a screw-on sight, or one attaching point for one of Lyman's screw-on dovetail sight bases. Or simply make the insert for the barrel's existing dovetail slot, then carefully contour the insert either on a lathe, or by hand with files do exactly match the barrel's configuration, then silver solder one of Lyman's sweat-on dovetail sight bases over that, and blue the exposed sides of the homemade oversize insert.

It would help to know what specifically you're working on, and perhaps more to-the-point specific suggestions could be made.

In any case, don't dispair, it's not a lost cause, there are several solutions to this type of dilemma.

Keep us posted.

God Bless,

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
After viewing your post in the Cowboy Shooting forum, I now see that you're working with a Rossi 92 in .44-40. I don't know the vintage of your rifle, but all of my 92's, by Rossi, all have standard 3/8" dovetails for the rear sight. Has this one been worked over by someone else?

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Noticed some of the older Rossi's used some odd sized dovetails...a bit over sized for U.S. Standards...the new ones (Taurus/Rossi) seem to be standard size.

Would be better to find what he wants exactly...and the easiest way to do that is to make some trial sights. Just for a "try" can make lots of shapes from thick cardboard, plastic, or whathave you and glue them in place...just looking for what works best with his eyes.

On one older Rossi, I just cut the rear sight from the dovetail (there is a rivet on top...file it flush and take the sight leaf off) and silver soldered a Winchester sight (with it's dovetail removed) to the Rossi dovetail. All of the joint is on the bottom side, so unless you take it off the rifle, no one will ever see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts