Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone answer a question for me? I am buying a factory barrel for a model 94 winchester and was wondering if I can just screw a new one on  and have it work or does the headspace have to be checked by a gunsmith. I am using the same caliber barrel.

· Registered
6,655 Posts
In my limited experiance ,yes, you can.

The breeching and lock-up of the Model 94 makes the chambers and barrel shanks all the same.

If you were switching calibers such as from the .30-30 to the .38-55 you would also have to replace the cartridge guides. 30-30 to .32 Special or the other way around is just a barrel swap.

If you have an old rifle remember that ther are changes in the post 64's.

McFarland did a pretty interesting article on barrel switching in an American Rifleman. If I could figure out how to work my scanner....

· Registered
6,655 Posts
Merle

Look for Harold E. McFarland.
"Modernizing the '94 Winchester". page 33 and 34
Janury 1949 American Rifleman.

I had forgotton or missed the point that on the older '94's there were two kinds of cartridge guides. A sort of universal and a specific type.

· Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a post 64 top eject winchester trapper that I wanted to put a longer barrel on. I purchased a 24" barrel and tube set that must of been off of a model 64 angel eject. The gunsmith had to mill 3 thousands (if I remember right) off of the barrel to get the sights to come up right and then a few thousands off of the tube to get it to fit. He also had to mill a ejector grove in the barrel since the other one was of to the side. It sure made a nice rifle out of it for a total cost of $130.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.