Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebarreled my springfield from 06 to 35 Whelen before I had this done it had already been custom stocked. And it shot ok. After rebarreling my scope did not have enough adjustment to get on paper. What could of happend here. I took it back to the gunsmith who did the work and installed adjustable rings on it. This made the scope to high.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,795 Posts
Sounds like the threads on the new barrel are not lined up properly with the bore.  Could happen when the barrel threads are cut or when the barrel blank is turned down.

What do the fired cases look like... is the firing pin strike in the middle of the primer?

Another possibility would be the new barrel being just a bit too big for the barrel channel and the stock pressing hard on it.

I guess the barrel could be bent slightly too.  Hard to say without seeing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply MikeG. The barrel that was ordered for this job was a Douglas barrel in the white do not know if it was pre threaded for finish reaming . As I also had the stock refinished at the same time by the same gunsmith who bed it. looks ok. The folded dollar slips easily between stock & barrel. Primers look ok. I ask about the threading of the barrel when I took it back. The  answer was it was done right. I thought maybe it could be something  else.

Thanks again for your reply
                                              Mel    

·
Registered
83 Posts
You did not say which direction you ran out of adjustment on.  However, it doesn't really matter for the advice I'll give you.  If the gun is shooting low and you can not get the point of impact high enough, shim the rear or rear of the scope base.  If the gun is shooting too high and you can not get the point of impact low enough, shim the front or front of the scope base.  On rings that are approximately 4 inches apart, every 0.001" in shim will get you 1" at 100 yards of adjustment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts