Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an earlier thread that mentioned Winchester rebarreling/modifying 1895's in .270 to function with the .405, but has anyone actually sent a gun in for this? I've got a Browning in .30-40 that I'd like to have a new .405 barrel for (bolt face should match just fine) but all I've found offered is a "barrel/receiver" set for $366 from USRAC. That's not a terrible price, but surely the barrel alone would be cheaper if there's a way to get it done. Anyone think the threads would have changed between the two Miroku runs?

The alternative might be reboring/rechambering to .35 WCF (which would fit nicely between my .33 WCF and rack of .45-70's) but I'd rather have the .405.

Trey

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Trey, I've sent an 1895 chamber for the 270 in to be rebarreled for the 411 Hawk. My project went to Z-Hat and was a bit more than the cost you mentioned above.

I would think a competent gunsmith could rebarrel and chamber for the 405 for a pretty good price. I went with Z-Hat because Fred has had a ton of experience with the 411, and he knows what works and what doesn't. The 405 doesn't suffer from the same controversy that surrounds the Hawk, so if you have a gunsmith that you trust to do good work, ask him. Additional costs are going to be your sights, dovetailing to fit, cut to desired length, crown, etc.. don't forget about those.

I would think the rebore to the 35 WCF would be a fairly routine procedure for a competent smith also. Still, $366 is a fairly good price, I think. Especially when considering there just isn't enough barrel to rebore to the 405, so it does mean a new barrel. Douglas Premium barrels run around $300 or so and all the smithing required to fit and finish are going to eat that 366 up in a hurry.

Not much help, but sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right- $366 is cheap for a rebarreling project, but I wonder how much less it could be if the receiver didn't have to be purchased.

I did call Buffalo Arms today and confirm that they will be selling a reproduction Lyman 38 (21 with windage adjustment) sight starting next Spring. What's really exciting is the target price: only $150! That should make a lot of 1895 and 1886 owners happy.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Trey,
I don't know if you are interested or not, but Marbles makes their tang sights for the 1895 (originals, Brownings, and the tang saftied Miroku's) ready to go for $125. I picked up one a couple of months ago. I haven't got to use it yet, but by outward appearance, I like it a lot. Comes with 2 aperatures.

Just something else to muddy the water. :D

Here's my discussion thread about the Marbles.
http://www.shootersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3585

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Marble's is pretty nice- wish the index marks were laid out better (like the Coluimbia Precision sight) but I can keep three factory or handloaded shots under 1.75" at 100 yards using one with a Lyman-Beach combination front sight on my Marlin 1895 LTD IV. That "climin' Lyman" just looks right on a Winchester 1895 though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts