Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Savage 116FHSS in 308, 7WM, 300WM or 338WM be a good candidate to rebarrel to 350 Remington Magnum or 35 Whelen...?

If so, I would really like a pillar bedded, accu-triggered, stainless steel Savage in 350RM with a 20" barrel. Sure hope its reasonable possible.

I searched rebarreling Savage rifle and nothing came up.

Thank's Joe

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I replied to the other thread, but here goes.

A .308 rifle would be the correct length action, but you would need to change the bolt face. Bolt heads for a Savage are $19.99 from Midway USA, so thats not a big deal. But you would need to modify the mag box probably to fit the bigger cases correctly. If you use any of the magnums, the bolt head will be correct, and so will the magazine. You will just be using a long action to cycle a short action cartridge.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
LittleJoe,

If you bought the Model 16FHSS in 300 WSM, I'm pretty sure you would have the correct bolt-face, magazine dimensions and action length. You'll want to confirm that with a gunsmith before proceeding, as I'm only about 90% sure on this one.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
For something like 40 years all Savage 110 series rifles were L/A, they didn't even make a S/A. That being said, finding an older Savage 110 at a cheap price is fairly easy and changing out the barrel is a pretty easy job. For a decent gunsmith, it can likely be accomplished in 20 mins including headspacing. I have done just that to an older 110, changing the barrel from the original '06 to .338/06. The entire project cost me under $500., including the original rifle, new E.R. Shaw barrel and a gunsmith installing it and modifying the stock a bit to accommodate the heavier barrel profile.

I own a 673 in .350RM and it's a great caliber (and rifle). There are still some around at bargain prices NIB. I also own a couple .35 Whelens along with the .338/06 already mentioned. The .35 Whelen and .350 RM are pretty much ballistic twins and the fact is that the Whelen will begin to somewhat outperform the .350 with bullet weights 250gr and above. A Savage 110 in '06 would be a simple change to a .35W. Both are excellent calibers, of course, but it's a bit easier to find loads for the .35W (and usually a good bit cheaper too).

I'm not trying to talk you out of your idea, simply mentioning an alternative. The rifle you mention making would be a very good combination, no doubt. Good Luck!

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and ideas.....all great. I'm paying attention and learning....

I guess I should just look at the R673 or a good used R660. Save a lot of time and trouble.

Joe

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with Tnhunter, the whelen would be the way to go. A 35 Whelen is a necked up 30-06. If you go with that round all you need to buy is a 30-06 rifle and switch out the barrels. It should feed fine and you won't have too change out the bolt-head. The 350 rem mag will be a little harder. Its a short action magnum that has a different bolt-head than the 300wsm. Its the same size bolt-head as the 300 win mag(the long one). Your best bet(I think) is buying a rifle chambered in 300win mag and changing the barrel to a 350 rem mag. The one thing I'm not sure of is how it will feed. That could give you trouble feeding the shorter round from a long action. Maybe someone with some real experience will chime in. A place to go and ask this question is at savageshooters.com, they can answer your questions. They live, breathe and probably eat savages over there. Dave

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Thanks for the input and ideas.....all great. I'm paying attention and learning....

I guess I should just look at the R673 or a good used R660. Save a lot of time and trouble.

Joe
The 673 is a very nice platform. I purchased a 673/.350RM first and upon seeing how well it handled, ended up with three more in other calibers. I do recommend you handle one if you can. It is the Model Seven action, of course, and I like that action better than the M700. The Model Seven action is smaller and lighter than a S/A M700 action, by the way. Either way you decide to go, enjoy!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The 673 is a very nice platform. I purchased a 673/.350RM first and upon seeing how well it handled, ended up with three more in other calibers. I do recommend you handle one if you can. It is the Model Seven action, of course, and I like that action better than the M700. The Model Seven action is smaller and lighter than a S/A M700 action, by the way. Either way you decide to go, enjoy!
If you must have a 350 Rem mag the 673 is a fine choice. The 660's are hard to find and pricey when you do.

I have a 673 in 350 Rm and it is a great shooter. It is not a model 7 action as I found when trying to install a lighter firing pin. Due to my weird druthers in firearms, I often seem to end up w/ these hybrid guns. Not quite a model 7, but almost. I got a fantastic buy on this rifle at a close out sale about 4-5 years ago.

However, If I had it to do over, I'd pick up a Ruger in 350 Rem Mag. They offer two advantages over the Remington. First they have a longer magazine so you can load the longer bullets w/out eating into powder capacity in the cartridge. This is not as important as some would lead you to think, but it is real.

The second advantage is that Ruger barrels have a faster twist than Remington barrels, which again helps with heavier or longer bullets. I think Ruger's are 1 in 12 vs 1 in 14 for Rem. But that's from memory..could be 1 in 14 vs 1 in 16.

The 350 Rem mag is a great cartridge. I have a couple 35 Whelens that I never use as my 673 is the go to big game rifle in my safe. I like the 22" length as well...good compromise.

Though, I still want to build a 35 Sambar some day.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
If you must have a 350 Rem mag the 673 is a fine choice. The 660's are hard to find and pricey when you do.

I have a 673 in 350 Rm and it is a great shooter. It is not a model 7 action as I found when trying to install a lighter firing pin. Due to my weird druthers in firearms, I often seem to end up w/ these hybrid guns. Not quite a model 7, but almost. I got a fantastic buy on this rifle at a close out sale about 4-5 years ago.

However, If I had it to do over, I'd pick up a Ruger in 350 Rem Mag. They offer two advantages over the Remington. First they have a longer magazine so you can load the longer bullets w/out eating into powder capacity in the cartridge. This is not as important as some would lead you to think, but it is real.

The second advantage is that Ruger barrels have a faster twist than Remington barrels, which again helps with heavier or longer bullets. I think Ruger's are 1 in 12 vs 1 in 14 for Rem. But that's from memory..could be 1 in 14 vs 1 in 16.

The 350 Rem mag is a great cartridge. I have a couple 35 Whelens that I never use as my 673 is the go to big game rifle in my safe. I like the 22" length as well...good compromise.

Though, I still want to build a 35 Sambar some day.
Interesting. I own four 673s and two magnum caliber model Sevens. The actions use the same scope bases, the bolts are interchangeable and there is zero difference to my eye, one to the other. Plus, the "name" 673 is taken from three things: The 6 from the older 600 and 660 series rifles it was created to "reincarnate", the 7 stands for the action (model seven) and the 3 is for the year it was released (2003). 6-7-3, all this information taken from Remington. Interesting.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I stand corrected and hope my error didn't screw anything up for littlejoe.

I ordered an aftermarket boltshroud/firing pin to replace the safety locked standard equipment part on my 673. The one I was sent by Midway didn't fit.

However, I just checked my old order on Midway and they had sent me a 700 shroud/firing pin unit. Turns out they didn't have one that particular item for a model 7, so I just returned it.

So the 673 may well be identical to the model 7.

Ended up blacking out the infernal red safety lock indicator with a black marker pen and learned to ignore the darn thing.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remington Model 7 CDL in 350 RM

Just noticed the Remington Model 7 CDL in 350RM. Did not realize they made this rifle or that it was available used. Short, light and powerful. I like the idea of a little thicker barrel ( stiffer) with the Magnum taper. Also like the 20" length.

Anyone own or shot one of these...? Or can comment on the Model 7 in general...? Nits, picks, etc.

Haven't been able to discern the magazine length as compared to the R600/R660 vintage rifles. Bullet seating.....

Regardless, if you can get a Nosler 225g started at about 2600fps the 300 yd or less numbers for ELK would be impressive.

Joe

·
Registered
490 Posts
i have a model 7 cdl in 350 and love it. it shoots great, has a good trigger and recoil is less than my 338-06 by a large measure.

before doing a 350 on a savage wsm understand the adams and bennett barrels probably will not work because the saum, um and wsm's have different thread sizes. a few early ones got through but if the factory barrel has a step in front of the collar it will not work.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Just noticed the Remington Model 7 CDL in 350RM. Did not realize they made this rifle or that it was available used. Short, light and powerful. I like the idea of a little thicker barrel ( stiffer) with the Magnum taper. Also like the 20" length.

Anyone own or shot one of these...? Or can comment on the Model 7 in general...? Nits, picks, etc.

Haven't been able to discern the magazine length as compared to the R600/R660 vintage rifles. Bullet seating.....

Regardless, if you can get a Nosler 225g started at about 2600fps the 300 yd or less numbers for ELK would be impressive.

Joe
The model Seven is a great rifle. Compact, good balance and nice smooth action. Again, all the 673 rifles are built on a model Seven action. I have two model Seven magnums, a .270WSM which has the exact same stock as a 673 (called the model Seven Whitetail, a limited edition) and a 7mm SAUM in blue/lam. all my model 673s and model Sevens have 22" barrels, however.

Looks like Conley has a 225gr NP, Grand Slam, Swift A-Frame and TSX at better than 2600 FPS

http://www.cpcartridge.com/350remmag-B.htm

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for bearing with me...

I'm sort of all over the map with how to get to a 20" 350RM. Firing questions out, getting good answers back. Rebarrel, R660 or Model 7.....!

Hey TnHunter....I think the Model 7 CDL in 350RM has a 20" barrel. Would not bet my life on it of course, but pretty sure I saw that. That is exactly what I am looking for. Just getting a general consensus as to the Model 7's quality, shootability, reliability and accuracy.

Good to know they are good rifles. I've got my eye on one.

Joe

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
You're correct, it's a 20" barrel with iron sights. It is a very similar rifle to the 673, which simply has a heavier barrel profile and laminate stock. I see no reason why a 20" barrel would not work well with the .350RM, not a huge difference from the 22" 673/.350. And I do understand the desire for a short compact rifle. :D

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I think the Model 7 would start off about a .5 #'s less also, so with a 2x7 Leupold on it it would carry at about 7.5 - 7.6 #'s or so loaded.

I'm getting old at 60 ( though still real active ) and a light, handy rifle with good power is what I think I need.

I got the 8.5 # 270W for standing and waiting. Just do a lot of walking where I hunt.

Joe

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I get over 2800 fps w/ TAC powder and a 225gr TSX from my 22" barreled 673. COAL of about 2.8". Will admit to pushing the envelop a bit with this load, but TAC can do amazing things for this cartidge.

You would lose maybe 100fps from a 2" shorter barrel.

Sounds like a winner!

duane pointed out that the Savage WSM barrels have a different thread size than the typical Savage. That's a complication to rebarreling a Savage that I had forgotten about.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Lever, rebarreling the large shanks are just as easy. Shilen makes drop in barrels, ready to go for them. The Ultra Mag version, the WSM's and the Precision Target actions all use the large shank.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Lever, rebarreling the large shanks are just as easy. Shilen makes drop in barrels, ready to go for them. The Ultra Mag version, the WSM's and the Precision Target actions all use the large shank.
SHilen's are great barrel's, but aren't they real spendy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts