Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever consider turning brass with .530-.532 rims down to .473? This would, of course, be done while cutting the extractor groove down to the appropriate diameter as well. The application I have in mind is consersion of WSM brass to fit into rechambered short actions while retaining the .473 bolt face.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Loader,

Thought about it right away.....my question is will the chubby little guys cycle through my Marlin 336 action. Mr. Gates and I had this same conversation about the .284 Win as a parent cartridge for this use....a variation on the .416 Beartooth to cycle through the standard 336 action. Seems like both should work....only the trying and seeing!!

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there is a market here for the tool/die guys. I can't think of any reason that the cut down would weaken the case itself. The 284 is a good example of a VERY successful case that goes .500 down to .473, so .550 to .473 should not be a problem.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I think your idea of creating rebated rim cartridges in new sizes could work well. The catch is that, unless a brass maker chooses to produce the cartridge, you would have to machine hundreds of cases; whereas, opening the face of a bolt is a one time rather cheap modification.

Fireplug

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Loader:
I'm wondering if you'll have feeding problems with a bolt action. The .425 Westley Richards has a .467" rim and a .543" base, and has been criticized for poor feeding. The problem is that the bolt can miss the small rim and slide over it. While Westley Richards undoubtedly got their feed rails just right, some custom gunsmiths didn't. Apparently there's no room for error.

A Marlin 336 carrier, on the other hand, lifts the cartridge by the body and bolt to cartridge alignment doesn't appear to be all that critical. Mine will feed .35 Remingtons in any postition, but it's a little cranky when it's upside down. :)

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack -

Good point. I wonder if one could adjust the magazine to carry the rounds a bit high and let the underside of the bolt face ride the next case down a tad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts