Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK is rebluing a 1930 S&W .38 M&P that only has bluing on the barrel ok or is that a turn your man card in offence? :confused:

·
Registered
484 Posts
re bluing reduces value. If you are not worried about a rare collector piece and you are planning on keeping it then I say go for it.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
If you want it done right, send it off to Smith & Wesson! If you are a collector do NOT do anything to the pistol, as it will take away it's collective value.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Re-bluing may or may not reduce the value. What is the current condition? Re-bluing a 95% pistol is kinda silly but probably won't hurt a roach or a parts gun. Does it have any historical significance? You don't want to do anything to one of Wyatt Earp's pistols regardless of condition. There's also a difference in having a firearm correctly restored and simply re-finished.

Look at the value of the pistol in its current condition. Now, what would it be worth as a restored or refinished shooter? The market among shooters for some restored firearms is quite strong right now because there are so few examples in excellent condition.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Is it a gun that you use and want to protect? If so, blue it and enjoy it!

·
Banned
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is about 10% of the bluing left and it has no historical significance. Most of the gun is bare metal and some of the bluing has turned yellow.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I reblued my S&W M&P 32-20. But first I had to remove the three layers of black paint someone had sprayed on it. The M&P is not that rare of gun and is fun to shoot. I figured I was gonna be using it so it need a good blue job to help protect it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have always been of the mind set to leave original no matter what condition. Every bump, dent, rub, and scratch is the guns history. The only statemen a new shiny gun can make is, HAVENT BEEN THERE - HAVENT DONE THAT. Your gun could have many stories to tell. The only way I ever refinish a gun is if it suffered from neglect. Yours sounds like it got it appearance from good honest use. My vote is leave it alone and show it off as a USED not stored gun.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a HiPower (not as old as your S&W) that I am going to have re-finished. I say its your gun, if you want to re-blue it, more power to you. There are plenty of S&W M&Ps floating around. Is the barrel original? It should have a s/n under the ejector rod.

Andy

My wife's 1948-ish M&P (also not perfect)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
There is about 10% of the bluing left and it has no historical significance. Most of the gun is bare metal and some of the bluing has turned yellow.
From what you say, I'd send it into S&W and have them reblue it. At least you can honestly tell any buyer that the gun was factory refinished. There are lots of these guns and they are still being made so unless it was carried by Elliot Ness, IMO, do the gun a favor and have it reblued.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a HiPower (not as old as your S&W) that I am going to have re-finished. I say its your gun, if you want to re-blue it, more power to you. There are plenty of S&W M&Ps floating around. Is the barrel original? It should have a s/n under the ejector rod.

Andy

My wife's 1948-ish M&P (also not perfect)

Andy what a beautiful old Smith your wife has. I cant even see a flaw in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts