Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .308 Norma Mag which i have thought about taking out to the 358NM.Rifle is a PH Safari is it possible?And what do i gain if i do?Yes its a fairly obscure cal but i like to be a bit different with my rifles.What would need to be done if it is a go-ahead? Last one guys can you furnish some performance figures as i dont reload and dont have books on the subject.gryphon

·
Registered
287 Posts
One question- If you don't handload, where will you get your ammunition? I thing Norma still offers loaded ammo, but being Norma, it will be spendy. If you want a bigger caliber, have you considered either the .338 Winchester magnum, or perhaps the .340 (also spendy)Weatherby? The Winchester mag. would require setting the barrel back to clean up the Norma chamber. The Weatherby would require a magnum length action. Anyway, with handloads you can expect about 2800 f.p.s. out of a max load with the .358 NM. Dropping to a 200 grain bullet would net you about 100 f.p.s. more, according to the Hornady manual. The 308 NM could net you about 3100 fps with maximum 180 grain bullets. About what you'd get from a 300 Winchester magnum.--Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pourboy thanks for your response,you neglected to say what was the projectile weight for the 2800fps load(max) for that 358 load.OK i am quite familiar with the 338 and take your point but i like a different cal to the run of the mill variety.**** i`m only knocking deer down and they dont know the difference when your calibre goes up a notch.gryphon

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,233 Posts
I checked the Speer manual and they show a little over 2700fps with a 250 grain bullet for the .358 Norma Mag.  I think that Nosler has data too, probably in the same range.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The data I gave was for a 250 grain bullet. I know what you mean about wanting to be different. We'll hunt with almost anything for a little variety. 2001 is going to be handgun year. Most interesting so far was 12 gauge slug year. Last year we did lever actions. Another friend dropped a whitetail last year with his 375 H&H, with full power loads yet! Sometimes they're dangerous when wounded. Sometimes, we need a little edge...--Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts