Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard there was a recall on some of Winchesters Stainless Steel Classics. Has anybody else heard that?

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
I checked Winchester's web site and a few others but did not see mention of a recall.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
That would probably be best, as I don't remember Remington going all out to fix the 700's. Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called them today, the recall was for the safety's. They are turning color. There isn't any safety issue. Traded 2 guns for a brand new Model 70 Classic. It's just your size, .338 Win mag. Can't get rid of the magnums I guess!:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Turning color? I guess Autumn has arrived if the safeties are turning colors too!!! Just one question, what color are they turning? I'd hate to have a rifle with a pink safety on it. :D

The 338 and your hunts up here go together like bread and butter. It's a lot of horsepower, no doubt about it and you may never need all of it, but it is perfectly at home hunting in Alaska. Least I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what color their turning, this one has been sitting on the shelf since 99 and it's still stainless steel. I got a great deal on this gun and traded off 2 that I haven't shot for awhile. Still have to sell the Weatherby though.;)

·
Beartooth Regular
2,155 Posts
My Winchester Classic Stainless will be 10 years old soon and the safety is still the same as it ever was. The matte finish on the barrel is rubbed shiny in a couple of places from use and the stock's a little scratched up but the safety's still perfect! ID

PS - I second the opinion on the .338. It's about the only magnum caliber I would even bother with today. It shoots a big bullet at 30-06 velocities, basically. I think that's a good thing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't need that shinney stuf in the woods or in the open. A good hunting rifle doesn't need to be pretty, just shoot accurately and work each time. Hunting in Colorado a few years ago i watched a hunter make his way through , the woods by the reflection off of his rifle. The .338 is a good rifle caliber but I would have a muzzle brake installed. Did that with my 7mm Rem Mag when I replaced the barrel and I'm very happy that I did. I shoot that rifle a lot and it's more pleasant to shoot with the brake on. And those of you that might think I'm a woose, just remember that the sins of youth will come back to visit you in your old age, if you make it that far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts