Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes my GF gave $50 for one as a stocking stuffer. I know it is fake and do not condone the manufacture or scam. I never would have bought one myself. Still I have it now. I have to admit, the glass is very clear edge to edge for a $50 scope. Has anyone seen or used one of these. Would it make a decent rimfire scope? How does it compare with $50 BSAs, Simmons, Bushnells etc?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Bird Dog, how were you able to tell it was a fake? Just wondering as I've not seen one, but haven't bought a scope in about 4 yrs.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the serial number on mine is 8888SC. My GF knew is was fake - the guy selling it to her told her. She could not have dropped the cash it would take to get a real Mk-4. Really for $50, it appears to be a good scope. I have read that Leupold outsources their exterior construction (tubes, turrets, etc) to China and does the glass work here. I'd say the exterior work on this scope is comparable, but I have no illusions about the glass being the same. However, I would say it looks as good as the glass you get from cheap brand name scopes. I am thinking about getting a .22mag and putting it on that.

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
Yeah the serial number on mine is 8888SC.
My guess is that there's a whole run of them with that SN! When making fakes, why change SN when its more effort, and they don't need to be concerned about making their way back for repairs? I imagine that 'Made in xxxx' has been subverted as well, on a lot of things.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I have not bought a new Leupold in a few years (and I like the one I have), but apparently in reading some other forums, you can't find "Made in the USA" on or in the box anymore. I think the metal parts are now mostly chineese and the glass is installed in Oregon. ****, Burris used to be made in Colorado. Not anymore. It is all profit margin now. I remember when Tascos and Simmons were Japaneese glass and quite decent scopes. Not anymore. I am not even sure where the upper and mid quality Nikons are made anymore. Hopefully Japan, but I would not bet on it.

This is an interesting site. I am sure these ratings will tick off the die hard Leupold folks: http://www.authorizedoptics.com/five-star-brands.html

·
Banned
415 Posts
I was acutally reading an article about a year back about China's copies. Seems they are into copying everything, from ipods to cars...and from what the article said, in many cases the chinese copies are actually EXCEEDING the quality of their counterparts, while still being considerably cheaper. Seems even the repair folks right at the manufacturing companies often cannot tell the difference between a real and fake blackberry cellphone.

On that note, I did purchase a Chinese scope one time, for my .223 Rem. It is a 10-40X56mm scope. Came with the large focusing handwheel and a sunshade, which is why I bought it. I couldn't find anything else at the time that came with those (or that I could even find for them!), unless I got up into $7000+ military or law enforcement scopes.

I think I paid about $70 for it, including shipping, and I had it 3 days after I ordered it. I was so impressed with it (and still am!) that I'm wondering why I hadn't bought one before. The only thing is that I replaced the rings, because the ones that came with it are terrible. It was a ZOS, by the way. Completely fogproof, and apparently, shockproof. Put it on my .270 WSM and fired off nearly 40 rounds with it, and it never moved one bit...it was even dropped once while on my .270 WSM, and then again when on my .223 Rem, and never moved at all. It is extremely clear and crisp, and with the 56mm lens, I can shoot coyotes at 10X out to about 100 yards on all but the darkest nights of the year.

All I'm saying is, don't discount it just because it's either cheap, and knockoff, or Chinese!

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
You get what you pay for!! Any way you look at it cheap is cheap! Collecting firearms gives one a certain insight into peoples thinking. Dealers as well as private individuals selling rifles think just because it has a scope its worth more. You cannot believe the pure junk I've gotten on rifles.

Recently decided to scope a 22 rifle. Went through eight ell cheapos with not a single one holding a zero for more than two shots. These were BSA, Tasco, Simmons, Swift, Banner, Alpine and several others. I'm beginning to form the opinion that any rifle with a cheap scope installed isn't worth a second look because it will be taken care of in same manner. I know this makes be judgemental but its my hard earned dollars that's being spent.

Because of the number rifles I own by several makers have begun to use QR Leopould bases and rings. This allows me to move one high quality scope between different caliber rifles without the hassel of remounting in different ring/base combinations. Worked very well this last deer season and should into the future. Sometimes requires a re-zero but if accurate records are kept can be redialed which gets you real close to the zero.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Nothing wrong with being judgemental...heck, I am too! I vow to never again discount a scope until I've tried it! Doesn't mean I'm going to go out and buy every one, of course...

Though I will say that I still believe in bargains. On my 21st birthday, I bought my first rental house. It should have cost nearly twice as much as it did, but the fellow was transferred out of province, and desperate to unload it. The structure/size/shape of the house didn't change any just because he was willing to let it go for below market value! I believe in a difference between cheap and inexpensive, but then I'm also old fashioned...I still believe being gay means being happy!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I SERIOUSLY doubt this knock off is anything like a real Leupold Mark-4. You get what you pay for generally in optics. That said, I am sure there are some folks in China running plants that care and try to do a good job and are innovative with quality. There are thousands of plants there and to assume all of them produce junk is naive. It is just a crap shoot. Did this one come from a good plant or not? If this exact same scope was distributed by (pick a big name optics manufacturer) and sold at Midway or Cabellas for $150, would I be saying: "Wow, it is sharp edge to edge and the turrets are tight, crisp and precise. Great scope!" Likely I would, because it is those things. If I had the time, I would put it on the hardest kicking gun I have and run 60 rounds through it to see how it holds up and if it drifts.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well i agree cheap tascos are junk..but my simmons cheapies.. before i sold my centerfires[for the most part].. i had them on my 336 an one on a 30 06 savage 110 ..last i heard,the 06 is still shooting good groups with over a 1000 rnds through it..definitly not my favorite scope,but mine were very funtional an got the job done..its hard for me to understand one not holding up to a 22 rifle.. i guess its just a matter of the cards you get dealt..slim

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have owned two Simmons. One when they first came out and when the glass was still Japanese. It was a GREAT scope and the rifle I had it on, a S&W 1500 .30-06, was very accurate. It shot 180s and 168 match bullets sub MOA. It never shot 150s as well. But the scope was great.

When I traded it in on a Model 70 with a Tasco World Class, I didn't like the scope near as much. So I got a Simmons Atech and it served great for years until my strap came undone when I got to the top of a tree stand one day and the whole works fell to the Ozark hill top. The gun came through fine, but the scope did not survive. That gun now sports a Nikon Monarch but I can't say anything bad about the Atech or my original Simmons. Simmons even gave me a comparable scope on discount when I sent it in (A Weaver K6 that I really like). I killed 30 deer probably with those two Simmons scopes and never wounded and lost one. A Schmidt and Bender could not have performed better really.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Yes my GF gave $50 for one as a stocking stuffer. I know it is fake and do not condone the manufacture or scam. I never would have bought one myself. Still I have it now. I have to admit, the glass is very clear edge to edge for a $50 scope. Has anyone seen or used one of these. Would it make a decent rimfire scope? How does it compare with $50 BSAs, Simmons, Bushnells etc?
It should bebetter than some other $50 scopes as they where trying to match a $1200 one, I have seen these knock-off in person and yes you can tell that it's not a real one. I think you need to keep the GF as she is wise on buying cheap as these sell on ebay/GunBroker in the $159-$279 range depending on which reticle is in them and if they had IR, have seen even the Comp. Models 40X & 45X.......the ones I've had contact with are on wannabe sniper rifles at F-Class/PRONE and Tactical Matches. The last seller on ebay I think was lgish he used one at the F-Class Nationals in Sept. 09 at Butner.

Here's on that was one ebay, it ended for $199: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190368962230

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It should bebetter than some other $50 scopes as they where trying to match a $1200 one, I have seen these knock-off in person and yes you can tell that it's not a real one. I think you need to keep the GF as she is wise on buying cheap as these sell on ebay/GunBroker in the $159-$279 range depending on which reticle is in them and if they had IR, have seen even the Comp. Models 40X & 45X.......the ones I've had contact with are on wannabe sniper rifles at F-Class/PRONE and Tactical Matches. The last seller on ebay I think was lgish he used one at the F-Class Nationals in Sept. 09 at Butner.

Here's on that was one ebay, it ended for $199: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190368962230
I compared it for brightness to the Weaver, Nikon, Leupold, and Burris scope early yesterday morning. (See the recent twilight comparison post). It was tied with the one Fullfield II than I ranked last for brightness. Not bad, just not as bright as the higher dollar glass. Of course that is to be expected for a $50 to $75 scope. The turret mechanisms are really nice and tight and appear to be the one part of the scope that is as good as the real article. I think the 30mm tube itself is the same as the real artice. It has a standard mil dot reticle. If I had to guess, the reticle is the part I would worry about failing if you put it on a big magnum. I don't know that, it is just the feeling I have based on some things I have read. It sits in a box for now. I would sell it on Ebay for $100 if I could. The GF would likely be ticked so I think it will end up on a Savage .22mag I am looking at. It will be fun working he elevation adjustments on that scope with such a gun I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah the serial number on mine is 8888SC. My GF knew is was fake - the guy selling it to her told her. She could not have dropped the cash it would take to get a real Mk-4. Really for $50, it appears to be a good scope. I have read that Leupold outsources their exterior construction (tubes, turrets, etc) to China and does the glass work here. I'd say the exterior work on this scope is comparable, but I have no illusions about the glass being the same. However, I would say it looks as good as the glass you get from cheap brand name scopes. I am thinking about getting a .22mag and putting it on that.
Leupold uses Nikor lenses in their scopes, made by Nikons lense division.

·
Registered
601 Posts
AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!
I was acutally reading an article about a year back about China's copies. Seems they are into copying everything, from ipods to cars...and from what the article said, in many cases the chinese copies are actually EXCEEDING the quality of their counterparts, while still being considerably cheaper. Seems even the repair folks right at the manufacturing companies often cannot tell the difference between a real and fake blackberry cellphone.

On that note, I did purchase a Chinese scope one time, for my .223 Rem. It is a 10-40X56mm scope. Came with the large focusing handwheel and a sunshade, which is why I bought it. I couldn't find anything else at the time that came with those (or that I could even find for them!), unless I got up into $7000+ military or law enforcement scopes.

I think I paid about $70 for it, including shipping, and I had it 3 days after I ordered it. I was so impressed with it (and still am!) that I'm wondering why I hadn't bought one before. The only thing is that I replaced the rings, because the ones that came with it are terrible. It was a ZOS, by the way. Completely fogproof, and apparently, shockproof. Put it on my .270 WSM and fired off nearly 40 rounds with it, and it never moved one bit...it was even dropped once while on my .270 WSM, and then again when on my .223 Rem, and never moved at all. It is extremely clear and crisp, and with the 56mm lens, I can shoot coyotes at 10X out to about 100 yards on all but the darkest nights of the year.

Buying a knockoff puts good companies out of business and Americans out of work. But, hey, as long as you get a good deal...who cares about anybody else. Sounds like a politician to me...as long as you don't get caught, it's ok. Uuugggghh!

All I'm saying is, don't discount it just because it's either cheap, and knockoff, or Chinese!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts