Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I finally received my new 44 mag and got to shoot it this weekend. It shot just awesome. I was shooting freehand at 25-30 feet and was hitting the bullseye within a 2in cirlce. I was using 200grain HP jacketed. The gunpowder I was using was 2400,21.6 grains. What a kick that was! I feel a sense of accomplishment because I made the ammunition. I want to personally thank you guys on this great forum for piecing it all together for this new green horn. Hope you enjoy the picture.

working on sending picture--having problems w/photobucket

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
That's a pretty gun, Steve! :D

Did you get a chance to shoot it at longer distances, or from a bench position? How did you like the recoil?! Doesn't it feel great when you touch off a round and the gun lets you KNOW IT?! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first time w/44 mag

Hey there Big Dan—

The checkering on the Fore grip is off-center. Is this what you are taking note of? Originally when I had them build the gun, the fore grip was 2 segments longer than it is now. I wanted the barrel to overhang at least half it’s length. So that’s why the fore grip is shorter than standard stock. I originally was told this and didn’t mind it at all. The fore grip is actually is on a hanger system. The way I understand it, the bull barrel is actually floating.

The gun was a great pleasure to shoot. This was my first time shooting a .44 magnum. The recoil was not bad at all. My hands take a beating anyways at my day job working with air impact tools. My hands are pretty well seasoned. Like you said Jason, it was a pleasure to touch off that first shot knowing that you built the ammunition yourself. My first 12 shots with 1 being a flier, you could cover them up with a 2-½ inch disc. This was at about 25-30ft in an indoor range and in a standing position—hands unsupported. Other shots were consistent and out at a further distance but not as accurate. My furthest shot was at 15 yards and I had a hard time seeing the 2-inch bulls eye as my open sights were obscuring the bullseye. When you guys shoot, are you shooting at an open range and are you using scopes or red dot sights? What is the average distance that you shoot at? I am looking at getting a holograph sight soon.

Thank you gents,

Steve

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
yeah i guess... i like it actually, i was wondering if it was a rifle forend that had simply been shortened, is there only 1 mounting screw? that sort of thing...

you'll like the holosight, my brother uses one and they are nice. i personally use a 2x burris pistol scope and shoot with both eyes open and really like that set up. it is super simple and fast but takes a bit more practice than the holosight.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I only shot my Contender in 44 Mag at an indoor range one time: The blast drove 2 other people out of the section of shooting bays I was in and after only half a dozen shots (25 yards) one of the store workers popped in to ask what in the heck I was firing. I guess the full-throttle Contender loads made him a little nervous because he asked me to try some of their reloads that were quite a bit milder. I never shot it indoors again because I had a vicious headache later that day. I could feel the concussion from the sound bouncing back and hitting me in the head, with my handloads. The store's reloads weren't nearly as bad, but from then on, I shot it outside.

I hope I don't offend you by saying this, but I think you would be best served with either a fixed power scope of 2 or 4 power magnification, or a 2X - 6X variable. I don't like "dot" scopes or holosights on guns like the 44 Mag. With the barrel you have, and a good scope, you could shoot the group you described at 50, 75, maybe even 100 yards, with some practice! Not feet; YARDS! That's an absolutely beautiful hunting handgun and as such, you really need a scope with some magnification to take full advantage of it. My 44 came with a 2.5X T/C scope and was upgraded to a 2X-6X LER Bushnell. I shot 12 rounds one afternoon, in groups of 3, at a 50 yard target. When I walked downrange to check my group, you could have covered them all with a coffee cup! I'm not a great shot, but that gun sure does shoot great.

Since then, I've had a short barrel extension added, making the barrel 16.5", so I can mount a buttstock and shoot it as a carbine. This was done because of Indiana's dumb gun laws. At the same time, I switched to a 2X-7X standard eye-relief scope and the groups are better than ever. I hunted with it last fall and came very close to harvesting a fat doe with it, but the wind was swirling and she just wouldn't come that last 20 yards, to clear the brush she was hiding behind.

My advice is to put a scope with some magnification on that bad boy, forget about shooting it off-hand very much and take it out in the woods this fall. That's what it's made for and anything less...well, you might as well shoot 9mm or 38 and save yourself the cost and headaches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my new 44 mag

No ofence taken on the types of sights perfered. Im just so leary of getting my field of view cut down by looking thru a scope with even 3X.But I know your right; if I want to reach out and touch a deer over 40 yds magnification is a must.Have you heard anything good about the multipliers you can put on in front of holographs? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
With a little practice, I have found it's pretty easy to get right on target, with a full scope view, in just a second or two. It does more or less limit you to shooting off some kind of rest, but let's be honest here; that gun is too front heavy to be practical from an off-hand position. With a good, low-power LER scope, you'll get the most satisfaction out of it and use it for what it is designed for.

I have only used a holosight on a shotgun and didn't care for it, at first. I got used to it and shot better with it, after the first round. It would be interesting to try one on a long-barreled pistol, but after the very poor experience I had with using a red dot scope on a 30 Herrett barrel, I'm inclined to stick with traditional LER scopes, nowadays.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm looking for a 14 inch .44 mag barrel for my new contender also. I just bought my first contender yesterday (Applause in the background). It's a series 2, 1st generation model made in 1969, serial 77XX !! It came with the 8 inch .44 mag with the shredder choke. I removed the choke and fired a couple of .240 grain lead .44 mags thru it. To say the least ... the recoil was stout !! I would think a heavier, longer barrel would tame that a bit having more weight out front. Besides being more accurate, I can probably attach a scope to the longer barrel also.
I really want to try deer hunting this year in Ohio with my Contender, but I have to get the right *parts*. ( barrel, scope, forend, etc). In Ohio, we can only use straight walled cases, and the .44 mag seems to be a good deer cartridge. The .45/70 in a handgun seems a bit too much for me to handle yet.
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I'm looking for a 14 inch .44 mag barrel for my new contender also. I just bought my first contender yesterday (Applause in the background). It's a series 2, 1st generation model made in 1969, serial 77XX !! It came with the 8 inch .44 mag with the shredder choke. I removed the choke and fired a couple of .240 grain lead .44 mags thru it. To say the least ... the recoil was stout !! I would think a heavier, longer barrel would tame that a bit having more weight out front. Besides being more accurate, I can probably attach a scope to the longer barrel also.
I really want to try deer hunting this year in Ohio with my Contender, but I have to get the right *parts*. ( barrel, scope, forend, etc). In Ohio, we can only use straight walled cases, and the .44 mag seems to be a good deer cartridge. The .45/70 in a handgun seems a bit too much for me to handle yet.
Ohio Rusty ><>
I see that Gunbroker has a 14" 445 Super Mag barrel for the Contender, right now. Only $200 for the barrel, with which you can shoot 44 Special, 44 Remington Mag and 445SM. This big-jugged case is capable of pushing a 240gr bullet at 2000fps, or the 300gr at 1800fps...that's one of the most powerful straight-walled cartridges you can use for deer in Ohio! It also has the added flexibility of shooting the standard 44Mag, if you don't want the added power. (NOTE: If you don't reload, buying 445SM ammo can get pretty pricey!)

Hey, it's just a thought... :)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=183398737

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Ohio Rusty

Congrats Ohio Rusty on joining the T/C family.I also am new as I just recently bought a 14 inch barrel in 44 mag. I love it. Recoil is not bad at all. Im shooting 200 grain HP XTP at 21.5 grains of 2400. Im sure that is a mild load compared to some of the experienced guys here are using.I too will be using my new pistol for deer hunting this fall. Good luck to you. Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts