Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
following the logic of rugers convertible revolver i'd say yes to the rechamber and maybe to the lr in the mag chamber. don't take it as the last word but in my mind it wouldnt be any different than the 'ol shorts, long, & long rifle scenario...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Bore Size ???

Isn't the 22LR bore .223" and the 22MAG sized at .224" ?? Would that make a diff ?? I believe that the case is different "tween the two also. especially the rim size/thickness. ---pruhdlr

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i think that you are right pruhdlr. i do feel confident that he could rechamber and get along fine but i don't know about the interchangability...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Terry,

a T/C Contender barrel in 22 lr. can safely be rechambered to the 22 magnum without any problems and if "throated" correctly, produces a superbly accurate barrel...

I would NOT recommend shooting 22 lr. cartridges in the magnum chambering as the cases could rupture on firing....

A

·
Banned
507 Posts
I agree with Assassin, the 22LR barrel can be reamed and throated for the 22 Mag, but you can't shoot 22 LR in it any longer. I tried doing that and had the case broke up in the chamber.

I prefer the Contenders in 22 Mag over the 22 LR, the Mag is a better hunting caliber and in the modified Contender they are very accurate. If you are not doing the work yourself and don't own the equipment to rechamber the Contender, you may be better off looking for a 22 Mag barrel. It isn't that simple to do it right.

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts